Option to exclude processes from Manual Mode reset

Things to come.
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Option to exclude processes from Manual Mode reset

Post by JonW »

I was planning on using proc6 & proc7 for my fermentation fridge and my kegerator fridge. However, if I'm brewing and I want to use manual mode for something, it then shuts down any running processes.

How about a feature where you can either select which processes manual mode should not reset or possibly just an option to leave all processes running when you go to manual mode and have the manual mode control grids reflect the current input/output/temp values. You would also then see changes to inputs/outputs as the current processes continue to run. I can definitely see wanting to tweak something in manual mode, but not want to stop my processes (especially proc6 & proc7).

If you could go to manual mode while the processes are still running, you might also be able to get rid of the "Temp Setpoint Adjust" screen since you can change the setpoints in the manual mode screen already. I know you have the warning on the manual mode screen that says "Entering Manual Mode will disable all active Processes to avoid Output control contention", but how the option to leave them running?

Maybe a setup checkbox option like: "Keep processes running when in manual mode".
ECC

Re: Option to exclude processes from Manual Mode reset

Post by ECC »

Yeah, this is interesting. The reason that they have to disable the other processes is that it always controls all outputs when enabled. Manual Mode doesn't have the extra 'control' checkbox for outputs that is in the Edit Processes page. This means that they are all controlled, so there can't be any process controlling them. Even it you don't think an output is being controlled, it is being forced direct OFF, which creates output contention with any running process that is also controlling that output.

The reason that we did it that way was to make Manual Mode as simple as possible for new users. When just starting out, they want to be able to control everything directly. But it would be easy enough to add the control checkbox to each output such that it didn't have to directly control them all. We could just default it to all controlled so new users could get the desired behavior, even if they didn't understand what it was going on under the covers.
ECC

Re: Option to exclude processes from Manual Mode reset

Post by ECC »

Manual Mode doesn't have the 'control' option
mmode_table.jpg
mmode_table.jpg (55.66 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
The 'Edit Process" page has the 'control' checkbox to allow different outputs to be controlled by different processes.
edit_proc.jpg
edit_proc.jpg (47.64 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
That will be very easy to add. In fact the code underneath already exists, its just hidden in the interface. I think we'll keep the function of disabling other processes when enabling manual mode On by default, but make it mode-able as you suggest.