Direct connect BCS to PC with out internet

Applications that run on PC/Mac.
Machhi81
Bot?: No

Direct connect BCS to PC with out internet

Post by Machhi81 »

Can the BCS-460 be ran from a laptop without a Internet signal. Is there a program that can be installed on my laptop to run the BCS?
SamIam

Re: Direct connect BCS to PC with out internet

Post by SamIam »

Yes, information on how to do a direct connect can be found on the wiki.

http://wiki.embeddedcc.com/index.php/Ad ... work_Setup

Once connected you can control the BCS using the built in web interface.
gomi

Post by gomi »

hello,
Have owned a bcs-460 for a couple of years with great results. its been a year since I brewed and thus have not used my bcs-460. I used to connect via my router but no longer have internet and or a router so would like to connect directly to my laptop. I was looking for the Wiki to find instructions to do so and it seems to be no longer around. Are there detailed instructions available elsewhere? Thanks in advance
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

We removed the Wiki because it is mostly outdated since the release of the 4.x version of the firmware.

For reference, most of the wiki can be found here: https://web.archive.org/web/20160813021 ... /Main_Page

4.x documentation is also here: http://docs.embeddedcc.com/
gomi

Post by gomi »

Thanks Jon for speedy reply. Had a look thru the Wiki and found set up info. Unfortunately the set up doesn't seem to work. added manually the IP of 169.254.0.60and changed subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and tried 169.254.0.63 in browser also changed to 255.255.255.0 as other users described for mac. I am however PC windows 10. Any help would be appreciated.
on a side note. All antivirus off, no wifi network or any other networks on my machine.strictly LAN that I am trying to use for my BCS directly connected.

Thanks in advance :) Ian
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Did you reset your BCS? If not, it is probably either still set for DHCP or might have a static IP.

We removed the 169.254.xx configs from the 4.x version of the firmware because it is difficult to setup due to so many operating variables on your host machine. Really, the simplest way to set things up is to use a router that hands out IP addresses via DHCP.
gomi

Post by gomi »

Hi Jon,
Thanks once again for the speedy reply. Yes, I did do a reset a number of times. Sadly I have no internet/router available at this time or would certainly go that route. I am not even certain what firmware I have installed as I cant access. Thanks again for your input.
gomi

Post by gomi »

Ok. Still at it with my BCS. Looking for a little feedback once again. To recap.
I have reset the bcs
disabled wi-fi
tried the default ip and subnet mask in the wiki.
Ran ipconfig /all and got this result

C:\Users\gomi>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::32:428f:beda:bbcf%12
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.187.207
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter isatap.{525E321E-660B-4F3D-929C-97E736092EE9}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

C:\Users\gomi>
Am I to understand that the ip 169.254.187.207 is the possible ip of my unit? getting a little lost here. Thanks in advance :)
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

When you do the reset, you need to know if you're on the older 3.x firmware or the newer 4.x as the results are different.

If you are on 3.x, how long are you holding the reset? There are 3 different reset modes available based on how long you hold it.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160803064 ... Hard_Reset

If you are on 4.x, it will attempt to get a DHCP address and if it fails, it will default to 169.254.0.63.
gomi

Post by gomi »

Hi Jon, was not aware of the different reset modes. I have had my unit for about 3 years and upgraded firmware once. My guess is that I do not have 4x installed. I ma going try a reset again (correctly) and give it another go..thank you again