Direct connect BCS to PC with out internet

Applications that run on PC/Mac.
gomi
Bot?: No

Re: Direct connect BCS to PC with out internet

Post by gomi »

O.K.
Have tried everything I have read possible to connect my BCS. Tried direct connect with all the advice given knowing very well this is a difficult process and likely wouldnt work. Thru the towel in and connected to a router (without internet) to attept to find my BCS. Router recognized my PC but could not find any other devices connected.Using numerous ip scanning tools,looked to find any usable ip that way. It seems to me that my BCS-460 does not have a default ip set (did correct reset to re establish default ip) I feel I have two choices. Turf it in to the waste paper basket and go and have a beer. Or try to start from scratch, Is it possible to clear the existing firmwear (that I believe to be 3.7) and load current 4.1 bin without being able to connect to the unit. Thanks in avance
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

There's only two ways to flash it: 1 by TFTP and the other is by direct connect with a TI programmer. Is it possible when you were trying TFTP before that you set your TFTP program to serve up the wrong file? I've seen this a few times and it bricks the BCS. You can send it in to Brewers Hardware and have it reflashed that way.
gomi

Post by gomi »

Hi Jon.
Negative, When I upgraded from factory bin a few years back I was connected to the internet and all went smooth. Unit had been functioning very well up until I mothballed my system the year before last. That is why this is so frustrating, was working great until I stopped brewing. I am familiar with TFTP and FTP servers. Am I am correct in saying A) I can load the new bin via tftp as long as I can connect to the unit via a router (which I can not) or send it to Darren @ Brewers Hardware to flash via TI programmer. Thanks again Jon for your continued help. Gomi
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Correct, those are your two flash options.

One thing to check is if you are actually getting the reset button pressed for a proper reset. Does the ethernet light flash to show network activity?
gomi

Post by gomi »

Hi Jon,
Yes, I am certain I am getting the reset button pressed correctly, I can feel it click in/out when I release. And yes, When I power up the BCS and connect cat5 the yellow stays lit and the green flashes (like it is communicating) and then continues with the occasional blick/flash. The unit seems to be alive, just not identifying itself kind of. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps I held the button at one point longer than 30 seconds and put it into firmware upgrade mode and it is waiting for an upgrade from tftp server. The last reset I did was 23 seconds trying to get the unit to default back to 192.168.0.63.