Datalogging / storing data

Applications that run on PC/Mac.
Broph
Bot?: No

Datalogging / storing data

Post by Broph »

I received my second BCS a week ago, because my 1st BCS in bolted to my brewstation (photo below), and have been using it to monitor the temperature inside the carboy of my latest brew which is stored in my basement. I have a thermowell and temp sensor from Brewers Hardware. It's been an interesting last few days monitoring the temps... I was wondering if in a future version of the BCS if the data logging function could store the data on a network drive, or maybe a memory card that could plug into the BCS. Also if it would be possible to have the data file log in a different format (data being logged downward rows instead of left to right). In addition if the temperatures that are logged have a decimal point.

Carboy with the thermowell, sensor and airlock.
carboy.jpg
carboy.jpg (200.3 KiB) Viewed 19331 times
Brewstation and control panel bolted to side.
brewstation.jpg
brewstation.jpg (52.71 KiB) Viewed 19331 times
Inside the control panel
al9000_inside.jpg
al9000_inside.jpg (98.57 KiB) Viewed 19331 times
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
ECC

Re: Datalogging / storing data

Post by ECC »

Broph.

All good ideas. I agree, its kind of a pain to have the data in columns instead of rows. Unfortunately that's the way that the Open Flash Chart guys specified it, which is what the BCS uses to graph data. Its possible that one could rewrite the interface since it's open source software.

Storing data on the network is also a great idea. There are some roadblocks (or at least difficulties) with the BCS writing a file directly onto another computer on the network. It would, however, be very easy to write a small utility to poll the BCS and dump out a file (in any format). Or a small server script that would listen to the BCS for updates. I'm still looking for volunteers to help write a few BCS utilities, please PM/email me if interested.
Broph

Post by Broph »

Thanks. Your post has given me some ideas. If I can figure out a way to get something working I will share that with you.

Thanks again for all of your work on the BCS, and after seeing your latest post on things to come it sounds like you are getting ready to open up the flood gates of more functionality.

Tom
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
SpokaneBrewer

Post by SpokaneBrewer »

Here is a cool app that has resulted from users in this forum and a keen programmer from my local homebrew club. It stores the temperature data at whatever interval you specify at whatever location you choose.

File is attached and also it may be updated as we go. Mike is an awesome programmer. Here is the link to his download site: http://michael-arthur.com/BCSTempLogger.zip
Attachments
BCSTempLogger.zip
(7.48 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
brahn

Post by brahn »

Is this for the 3.x firmware? Would he be interested in updating it for 4.0?
MikeRussell

Post by MikeRussell »

Sure thing! Could you point me towards the change log or perhaps an example response?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Check out the links in the 2nd post of this thread:
http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2666

The API is documented and there are sample apps available.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Yes, what Jon said. I can help with any questions too, send me a PM on the forum here.
MikeRussell

Post by MikeRussell »

Oh nice, I just found the 4.0 api as well.

I don't think we (SpokaneBrewer) are on 4.0 yet. I don't actually have a BCS (maybe i should fix that ;) so I won't be able to test anything until he upgrades - in the time being could someone post a sample response to get /temp ? I'll probably just consume that in the hopes of showing all probes for now
brahn

Post by brahn »

Here's what /api/temp looks like on my test unit (460) right now:

Code: Select all

[1027,1034,0,1006]
Corresponds to 102.7, 103.4, etc

Here's /api/temp/0 in case you're curious:

Code: Select all

{"name":"Temp Probe 0","temp":1028,"setpoint":null,"resistance":5471,"enabled":true,"coefficients":[0.0011371549,0.0002325949,9.5400029999e-8]}