Post by MrNatural »

Mr (Ms?) Norton doesn't like the .exe?

http://www.symantec.com/security_respon ... 99&tabid=2
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: BCS Desktop App (V 0.5.0) for Windows, Linux, Mac & Rpi

Post by JonW »

MrNatural wrote:Mr (Ms?) Norton doesn't like the .exe?
http://www.symantec.com/security_respon ... 99&tabid=2
In a nutshell... It's a Norton problem. They're not friendly to newly developed programs that they do not know.

Read this on their community forum for an example of the issue: http://community.norton.com/en/forums/s ... rs-removed

Either flag it as safe and use it or don't. I will not be entertaining Norton with new releases to get them to safe list my programs.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Minor update to add E-stop button. New version is 0.5.3 and available in the download link in the first post.
Pjot68

Post by Pjot68 »

Hi JonW,
Very good addition to the BCS, thank you for your effort and to share it.

A question about the 0.5x version.
I wonder if the situation below is as designed or if I'm missing something.
I've got 2 things:
Downloaded the zipfile, unzip and run it on Windows 8.1.
Connect it to my BCS-462.
Through Setup options 'Get BCS Config'.
Customize the interface and save the result.

1) But when I close BCS-Desktop and start it again I see the following:
- On the BCS-Desktop Tab: Object Data has my BCS process_x_State_y names
- My xml file has the right process_x_State_y names
- On the BCS Control Tab: The state names under the different processes are stil the same as you are using them like S0: Initialize, and so on. They change only if I do a 'Get BCS Config'.
- Saving the config and restart BCS-Desktop reverts the statenames.

2) In your setup you do not show the states which you do not use. When I enable them in the BCS-Desktop interface (object visibile = True) and then save the result.
When restarting BCS-Desktop the state is not visible anymore.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Pjot68 wrote: Through Setup options 'Get BCS Config'.
Customize the interface and save the result.

1) But when I close BCS-Desktop and start it again I see the following:
- On the BCS-Desktop Tab: Object Data has my BCS process_x_State_y names
- My xml file has the right process_x_State_y names
- On the BCS Control Tab: The state names under the different processes are stil the same as you are using them like S0: Initialize, and so on. They change only if I do a 'Get BCS Config'.
- Saving the config and restart BCS-Desktop reverts the statenames.
The "Get BCS Config" option can take up to two minutes to complete. Are you waiting for it to complete? There is no need to restart after that option and the app auto-saves the data retrieved.
Pjot68 wrote: 2) In your setup you do not show the states which you do not use. When I enable them in the BCS-Desktop interface (object visibile = True) and then save the result. When restarting BCS-Desktop the state is not visible anymore.
There is a feature in the program that will auto-hide your states if the name is completely empty or contains "----------------". However, the entries in the XML are still flagged as visible=true. If you retrieve the new names from the BCS (with valid entries in there), simply restarting will re-enable them since they are not flagged as hidden.
Pjot68

Post by Pjot68 »

The "Get BCS Config" option can take up to two minutes to complete. Are you waiting for it to complete?
Yes I do.
There is no need to restart after that option and the app auto-saves the data retrieved.
I know.

I reset my BCS to defaults and restore a backup. Now the behavior of BCS-Desktop is consistant in the way that when BCS Config is retrieved, closing BCCS-Desktop and start BCS-Desktop again, the data from the BCS was saved. That was not the case before. So thats good :)
There is a feature in the program that will auto-hide your states if the name is completely empty or contains "----------------". However, the entries in the XML are still flagged as visible=true. If you retrieve the new names from the BCS (with valid entries in there), simply restarting will re-enable them since they are not flagged as hidden.
I was using "----------------" so thats resolved :)

Last question: when I start BCS-Desktop al the statenames have the prefix S0: , S1: etc in front of my statenames. When I then do a 'Get BCS Config' the names in BCS-Desktop are changed and reflecting my BCS setup (no prefixes).
But after closing BCS-Desktop and starting it again the prefixes are there again. Is that normal behavior?

Btw: Estop button is a very good addition.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Pjot68 wrote:Last question: when I start BCS-Desktop al the statenames have the prefix S0: , S1: etc in front of my statenames. When I then do a 'Get BCS Config' the names in BCS-Desktop are changed and reflecting my BCS setup (no prefixes).
But after closing BCS-Desktop and starting it again the prefixes are there again. Is that normal behavior?
That appears to be a bug. There are different code segments for when the app loads the object data from the XML file upon startup versus the code that is used to retrieve the new text strings from the BCS. I'll adjust it so that it behaves the same in both places.
vince805

Post by vince805 »

Has anybody ran this on a raspberry pi? If so does an original model B run it properly or do you need a pi2?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

vince805 wrote:Has anybody ran this on a raspberry pi? If so does an original model B run it properly or do you need a pi2?
My testing was on a Pi2, but there's no reason it shouldn't run on a B. Try it out, I'd be interested to hear if there are any performance issues.
vince805

Post by vince805 »

JonW wrote:
vince805 wrote:Has anybody ran this on a raspberry pi? If so does an original model B run it properly or do you need a pi2?
My testing was on a Pi2, but there's no reason it shouldn't run on a B. Try it out, I'd be interested to hear if there are any performance issues.
Sounds good! I'm going to try to get it going tonight, if not then on Friday for sure.

Do you think there will be any problem with running brewpi and this bsc desktop app on the same pi?