Do you have an idea for an Expansion Card?

Expand the capabilities of your BCS.
ECC
Bot?: No

Do you have an idea for an Expansion Card?

Post by ECC »

The BCS has an expansion port, it is a 5V i2c bus. If you would like to design, manufacture, or just suggest expansion options, we are generally open to interface updates.
dobeluvr

Re: Do you have an idea for an Expansion Card?

Post by dobeluvr »

The Bcs460 has 6 discrete outs and 4 discrete ins. The digi16 has 12 outs and 4 ins. Total is 18 outs and only 8 ins. between the two cards. So I would be interested in more inputs on a card. It could possible be a card solely for din's, or the reverse of the digi16 with 4 outs and 12 ins.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Each BCS supports up to 4 Digi16's. Does that help?

So for a BCS-460, you have 4+4*4 = 20 ins and 6+4*12=54 outs.
For a BCS-462, 8+4*4 = 24 ins and 18+4*12=66 outs.
dobeluvr

Post by dobeluvr »

I used 8 inputs and only 4 outs. I have 14 more outputs I could still use, but no more inputs. It just seems limiting to not be able to get more inputs than outs. (don't know the manufacturing costs or coding etc, it may just be too cost restrictive). A person might want inputs for 1)auto or 2)on, 3) a float for level, 4) a flow switch maybe even remote just to name a few--- all to control 1 output.

All I'm trying to say is that if a card had been available with only inputs, or with 12 inputs and 4 outputs I would have bought that configuration vice the digi16. 20 ins and 54 outs seems to me to be a little unbalanced the wrong way. In industrial controls we always seem to have more inputs than outputs. Even a simple sump pump might have a local, remote, on and 3 or 4 floats (all inputs) to turn on the pump(1 output). I suppose a person could run the 5v signal thru multiple devices and have just 1 input for a permissive but this reduces flexibility. So yes there are workarounds.

I bought a BCS460 and a digi16 and luv em. They meet the needs currently, but just saying if i had more inputs available on the cards I have I could probably think of more things to do with it. Like run a low voltage cable out to the garage to a ssr to turn on outside lights from in the house. But I need an available input for the switch, and you was asking for expansion suggestions. So...
ECC

Post by ECC »

Excellent points. I think with the addition of the Ladder Logic interface (and after it is a little more polished), we're going to see more demand for inputs. It makes it much easier to code the logic for multiple inputs as you describe. Honestly there hasn't been much customer demand (in brewing at least) for more inputs, but you make a great argument.

I think having 2 flavors of Digi16 is a great idea.
flux

Post by flux »

analog card built with two of these http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PCF8591.pdf , would give you 8 analog inputs and two analog outs
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

I know we have asked for analog temp inputs before, but what about a expansion board that allowed, for example, 2 existing temp inputs to replace the hardwired ones, with wireless sensors of some sort connected via the expansion port...... lots of directions to go here, but thinking the software would first have to allow it, then we need the hardware, and googling I2C wireless thermometer pulls up a lot of material.. and while we are at 2-channel wireless thermometer, throw in a Dout for each sensor, and hook it up to a pair of powertails, and you have dual fermentation control via wireless... just sayin... ;-)
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

I would like an improved version of the PID display currently available...

I think it would be perfect if it had the exact same form factor as a PID (except most likely shallower...) and it had an up and down button for changing the temp setpoint, and this actually changed the setpoint for the current state.