Brew Session Documented

Post pictures of your System
microbusbrew

Brew Session Documented

Post by microbusbrew »

Hi all, I documented each step in my brew session on my blog today (from startup to boil). There probably isn't any new information there that hasn't already been covered somewhere in this forum, but it might be helpful to some to see a brew session from start to finish. I tried to include as many pics and screen captures as possible without overdoing it and I included the text from my config file. The url is http://microbusbrewery.blogspot.com/200 ... ssion.html so feel free to take a look.
mpilchuk

Re: Brew Session Documented

Post by mpilchuk »

Cool.

Nice. Love your heat exchanger in the cylindrical thermos.

I use a six pack rectangular cooler with two 120v heat elements.
microbusbrew

Post by microbusbrew »

Thanks, I wish I could say I came up with everything on my own, but I basically looked at as many HERMS systems as possible and took some ideas from each. I was originally planning on building a sealed heat exchanger made out of various plumbing fittings with a pressure relief valve for safety. I priced out all the pieces (over $50) then happened to be walking through the local walmart when I saw that thermos on sale for about $5. It's not as fancy as what I was planning on building, but so far it works great.
ECC
Bot?: No

Post by ECC »

Thanks for posting this, it is always interesting to see someone's brewday in action! I love your system. Looks like you are hitting your temps perfectly. As Mitch mentioned, the thermos hex is a really great idea. I also love how you mounted the BCS-460 permanently in the basement.

A few sidenotes: The config file looks incomplete. It might be better to save it as a text file and attach it. As it is right now, I don't think it will load.

Also, I noticed that the gauges are a little off center on the main control page. I assume this is because you used the zoom function in your browser? I realize that the gauge java applet doesn't scale with the rest of the interface, this is a problem that we've been pondering for a while. It would be nice to have something that scales, maybe in a future firmware update.

I took some screenshots of my last brew session as well, and when I get some time I'll post up. Toasted Coconut Porter sounds really interesting, let us know how that turns out!
microbusbrew

Post by microbusbrew »

Thaks Adam. I'll take a look at the config text and post a correction...I wonder if my blog post truncated the text.

Regarding the gauges, yep this was due to zooming. Unfortunately my laptop's graphics card is a bit limited so it doesn't support very high screen resolutions. I figured I'd zoom out a little so as to try to capture as much of the screen as possible.

I've never made the toasted coconut porter before but I thought it sounded really good. I got to try Maui Brewing Company's Coconut Porter at the GABF last year and I really liked it. I'm hoping this one will turn out similar so I'll keep you posted. On a side note, does anyone have experience with Wyeast's London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318)? It's the first time I've used it and it took off like a rocket. I almost had to swap out my airlock for a blow-off hose. Just wondering if that's typical for this yeast.
microbusbrew

Post by microbusbrew »

Just an update on the toasted coconut porter that I used in my brew session. I kegged it a little over a week ago. It's pretty good stuff definitely a keeper. It's very rich and flavorful...in my opinion not a session beer...more of a dessert beer. I've never tried it but I've heard of people making beer floats with porters and stouts and a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream. My wife suggested a scoop of fried ice cream (vanilla, coconut, and cinnamon flavors) might go well with this.

One note, the recipe called for 14.2 ounces of toasted coconut. I can't remember the brand, but I used unsulphured unsweetened dried coconut flakes and the bag I bought was only 12 ounces. The coconut flavor/aroma in the final product is very balanced and not overpowering. It's actually a bit more subtle than I was expecting/hoping for. Next time I think I'll try for 16 ounces in the secondary and see if I can infuse a little more coconut flavor and aroma.