Would you like to build a Refrigerator?

Post pictures of your System
rcrabb22
Bot?: No

Re: Would you like to build a Refrigerator?

Post by rcrabb22 »

I hope the OP is still watching. What is the purpose of State 3, Cool Prep? What is the purpose of running the fan for 15 sec before activating the A/C Compressor?
cscade

Post by cscade »

rcrabb22 wrote:I hope the OP is still watching. What is the purpose of State 3, Cool Prep? What is the purpose of running the fan for 15 sec before activating the A/C Compressor?
Indeed I am!

My A/C unit draws a lot of power, and since it's running once every 30mins or so for a space this size, I could see the lights dim briefly each time it came on. I discovered that running the fan with the compressor off and then starting the compressor lowered the startup load for the compressor, therefore the lights dimming was less noticeable."Prep" just runs the fan alone.

I don't know enough about A/C systems to understand what's going on under the hood. Perhaps by running the fan I'm equalizing the pressure in the coils beforehand? Maybe it's just because the fan/compressor are not drawing startup power at the same time? Couldn't say for sure. In any case, that step is only there because in my particular setup it lowers startup load.
rcrabb22

Post by rcrabb22 »

Thanks!

I'm not an A/C expert either but the start up load of both the compressor and fan together seems plausible.