our distillery BCS...

Post pictures of your System
clearwaterbrewer
Bot?: No

our distillery BCS...

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

One of the first runs with my homebrew controller attached to the production rig:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4zM76VxuUM
clearwaterbrewer

Re: our distillery BCS...

JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

That's some pretty cool shit!
pngaudioguy

Post by pngaudioguy »

That is very cool. Lots of nifty equipment beyond what is needed for beer making there!

Two quick and completely unrelated questions to the process. Are those 3 way illuminated switches? What part of the process is making them blink like that?
clearwaterbrewer

pngaudioguy wrote:That is very cool. Lots of nifty equipment beyond what is needed for beer making there!

Two quick and completely unrelated questions to the process. Are those 3 way illuminated switches? What part of the process is making them blink like that?
Yes, they are 3-way switches for manual(pwm)-off-auto(bcs) operation. They are in the auto position, with the BCS supplying 70% power. Each on a 5500W camco, so 7700W.
they are 120V LED lights, that is why the third one 'glows'; a bit since the element is unplugged. Most of my process states have 2-5 elements full on, but I was playing around with lower power for stabilizing the column. The BCS also controls a relay board that is wired to a 3-pole contactor in the other panel. That contactor powers 3 more camco elements. Eventually I will eliminate my brewery panel and have the panel on the left dedicated to the distillery, with maybe one SSR driven element, the other 4 driven by contactors.
clearwaterbrewer

Oh, and let me throw my 4-20mA info in there for the powers that be... I have a *separate* PID (cough-cough) that you see sitting in a gray box above the 2 panels. This *separate* PID (cough-cough) controls the temperature of the reflux condenser (above the glass column) with a johnson controls VA9104-GGA-2S variable ball valve (blue box on wall behind the glass column on the right, 'GGA' is the 2-10v/4-20mA version) that limits flow through the condenser... this holds temps to within 1 degree, which allows me to precisely control the output ABV of the alcohol.. It would be a huge benefit to be able to have this *separate* PID(cough-cough) integrated into the BCS so I could have a programmed set of temp steps and ramps.

Who else wants the BCS to provide direct control of a variable ball valve? let the powers that be know!
Joyride-Brewing

Post by Joyride-Brewing »

That's pretty cool, and a nice BCS setup too!
clearwaterbrewer

Video of the BCS operating with new 4.0 upgrade

https://youtu.be/D18681HgTPE
Bayoujeeper

Post by Bayoujeeper »

Sweet setup! What mount is that holding the iPad on the panel? Looking to do something similar myself..
clearwaterbrewer

belkin refrigerator mount, https://www.google.com/search?q=F5L098tt I just got 2 more for $12.95 on amazon, but the deal looks gone now...

(and a spare/new ipad - refurb ipad gen3-retina-3g for $210 from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 8HF3DK1819)