Post pictures of your System
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: Brewers Hardware, All Stainless, Single Tier, BCS-462 ri

Post by JonW »

BREWMASON wrote:
JonW wrote:
BREWMASON wrote:Are you using a pilot light? Could not see any igniters.
I'm using hot surface igniters. They are hidden with the wiring running through the front/top beam and then down one leg and under the stand to the control panel.

Thank you very much!!! I am looking to do the same. researching your post for the info and location to buy from. Greatly appreciated!!!
They're called Honeywell Glowfly igniters. They run about $30 each on Ebay, but you can get even better deals on multi-pack purchases.
jward

Post by jward »

Do you have wiring diagrams you can share? I think I am getting most of it from the photos, but if you already have them or shared them somewhere I would like to see how you wired it all together. I am trying to work out how to organize terminal blocks etc for my little fermenter system.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

No, I did not create wiring diagrams. Mostly I worked to keep low voltage and high voltage away from each other.

Early on, I did create some Visio drawings when I was trying to layout the components. That helped me in determining what size of enclosure to get. Doing that is also what made me decide on using the externally mounted outlets since my drawings were showing how much space the panel mount outlets and wiring would take inside the enclosure.
jward

Post by jward »

I started a visio and went back to paper and pencil....
mavantix

Re: Brewers Hardware, All Stainless, Single Tier, BCS-462 rig

Post by mavantix »

Dang! I guess I can't claim to have a JonW clone rig anymore...or maybe I'll have to refer to mine as a JonW v1 clone. Haha! Nice work, love the SS and hard piping.
beardedbrewer

Post by beardedbrewer »

@JonW

Can you provide the relay boards you used?

Thanks
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

beardedbrewer wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:21 am
Can you provide the relay boards you used?
The relay boards are from: http://stores.ebay.com/Electronics-Salon

They have many different coil voltages and you'll usually want to select one that matches the accessories/valves that you are driving. You can use a 12V relay board to drive 24V valves, but then you need two power supplies - one for the relays, one for the valves. If you get a board that needs the same power as your valves, then you only need a single DC power supply.

The specific ones I used are here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIN-Rail-Mount- ... 2141671343
beardedbrewer

Post by beardedbrewer »

Well, since I will be going with a eHerms setup, I'll need to go with SSRs for my 240VAC heating elements.

What I am mulling over is what to use for the 120VAC pumps mostly.

I haven't decided if I am going to go with any automated valves or anything like that. I'd be fine adding in a 12V supply.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

beardedbrewer wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:15 am
Well, since I will be going with a eHerms setup, I'll need to go with SSRs for my 240VAC heating elements.

What I am mulling over is what to use for the 120VAC pumps mostly.

I haven't decided if I am going to go with any automated valves or anything like that. I'd be fine adding in a 12V supply.
The 120VAC pumps can run on either SSR or contact relays. The links I gave also have DIN mountable SSR's. For heating elements though, you'll likely need large SSR's with heat sinks.
pat

Post by pat »

Jon,

I've been researching homebrew setups for quite some time now and I'm glad I stumbled upon your beautiful rig! I'm new to electric brewing so I've got a few questions:

1) In your older setup, why did you go with 2 independent valves instead of a single 3-way valve at each pump?
2) How do you prevent backwards flow of liquid? For example, when you run Pump #2 to recirc the MLT, do you simply close the HLT/Sparge valve and let that line plug up? I don't see any check valves.
3) I noticed you don't have any air bleeds for your pumps. Have you run into any problems with priming?
4) I love the idea of doing a pre-chill for whirlpool hops but where do you transfer the wort to the fermenter?

Finally, I'm super new to BCS. I've done a bit of programming in the past and know the basics of electric wiring so if anyone can suggest resources for beginners that would be greatly appreciated!