BCS RIMS Build

Post pictures of your System
S. Parks
Bot?: No

BCS RIMS Build

Post by S. Parks »

;) Hello all. I wanted to post the latest progress on my RiMS build. I'm down to having the control panel left, and I'll start brew trials.
Attachments
BCS 460, with Brewer's Harware RIMS
BCS 460, with Brewer's Harware RIMS
012.JPG (57.68 KiB) Viewed 27244 times
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS RIMS Build

Post by JonW »

Looking good. Any larger pictures? It's hard to see the details in this one.
S. Parks

Post by S. Parks »

OK, the pic worked so I'll provide some details. The system is a single pump, mostly automated system using one temperature probe in the RIMS tube to monitor the HLT and MLT. The single pump, RIMS system I use a couple manual valves to set outgoing flow rates. I am utiling Honeywell standing pilot gas valves for the gas train, powering 3 Blichmann burners. There will be a separtate chiller unit (BSC controled) that will be used to chill the modular boil units. This will allow me to completely separate the boil program (or have multiple boil/chill units operating at the same time, and have more than one batch in progress at once. This is the second generation of this type of rig I have built. :geek:
Last edited by S. Parks on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
S. Parks

Post by S. Parks »

There's a couple swtiched to add to the control panel for the gas valves, but here's a peek so far. The box beneath the rig will house all the SSR's, power supplies and transformers.
Attachments
Control Panel
Control Panel
008.JPG (138.9 KiB) Viewed 27238 times
S. Parks

Post by S. Parks »

Here's my old rig, the prototype for the process. A very reliable, easy to brew on system, but when I saw the BCS platform, I just had to build a new rig around it. Not to worry, we are are growing club, and having two rigs will give more people the opportunity to brew!
Attachments
Old trusty
Old trusty
Old brew Rig resized.jpg (230.88 KiB) Viewed 27236 times
S. Parks

Post by S. Parks »

First Brew day in the record books. I love the BSC. Other than a few tweaks, everything worked flawlessly. First brew is my Vanilla, Bourbon Barrel Porter. I guess I need to update my firmware now and work on a HMI screen. Adam, thanks for your help today, I'll let you know the results. :geek:
Attachments
First Brew Day BCS.jpg
First Brew Day BCS.jpg (158.22 KiB) Viewed 27093 times
S. Parks

Post by S. Parks »

End of the brew day, with chiller. It took a bit of ice to hit 62F on a 100+ day.
Attachments
BCS in action.jpg
BCS in action.jpg (140.14 KiB) Viewed 27093 times
ECC

Post by ECC »

The detachable BK/Chiller on rollers is genius! What a great idea.
S. Parks

Post by S. Parks »

Thanks for the input guys. I'm really liking the freedom that brewing on this system brings. My first brew day had 5 people present, and I could actually engage in conversation, enjoy myself, and enjoy the brew day without stressing over what my rig was doing. I usually brew by myself so I can focus on the minutia of the process, and keeping thing within the parameters. This was effortless! I have a few set point tweaks to perform, but I never once over shot a set-point (not like my old PID controller). Perhaps now I'll start playing with the ramp up modes, or temp averaging between my RIMS and the supply temp to dial in things even closer. The Data Log ROCKS!

Did I happen to say, I LOOOOOOOOOOVE my BSC! You guys should be so proud of what you have brought to us home :D brewers!!!!!