Driving More than one SSR

Discussion of the physical aspects
Andy Dean
Bot?: No

Driving More than one SSR

Post by Andy Dean » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:25 am

Is it possible to drive more than one SSR from a single output by wiring them in series or parallel?

If so what is the maximum current load on a single Dout? The spec sheet for the SSRs I use state the control side current draw is <13ma, I don't think I will be going to drive more than two from one output.

Any help much appreciated.

JonW
Site Admin

Re: Driving More than one SSR

Post by JonW » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:32 am

The outputs are rated for 20mA. 13mA is a little high for an SSR. Most I've seen are around 7-8mA draw, which would easily allow driving two (in parallel).

Andy Dean

Post by Andy Dean » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 am

Cheers, it does say <13mA on the spec sheet, so it may be down sub 10mA. I'll get a multimeter out and measure the current through one to make sure, that's the way to be certain I guess.

I take it overloading the output will damage it?

oakbarn

Post by oakbarn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:23 pm

You could use a relay board to trip a replay and have that drive the two SSRs. That is what I do when I need more than a single SSR to trip on an asserted Out. The Relay Boards are fairly cheap on Amazon or Ebay. You do need a Power supply but I have those just lying around.

Andy Dean

Post by Andy Dean » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:37 am

Cheers Oakbarn! I was thinking that might be a better way to do it. I have one of those relay boards in my panel at the moment from Audiowind on eBay, that I use to control pumps and valves, I see they do a low load SSR board too which I might give a shot.