Transformer and temp probe wiring in same box?

Discussion of the physical aspects
IheartTRAIL
Bot?: No

Transformer and temp probe wiring in same box?

Post by IheartTRAIL »

Hi,
I recently got my BCS-460 and just about have all the bits I need for my system. I'm constrained for garage space, so I'm just making a single burner (based on a Bayou Burner frame) direct-fired RIMS unit (Burner converted to low pressure 11" WC LP gas). I'm driving that with a Honeywell standing pilot control valve and I'll also have a March pump controlled by the BCS. My general scheme is to make a separate box for the BCS-460, then connect it to a "remote" box for the mash unit and an additional remote for the fermentation fridges via CAT5 cable. Below is my wiring scheme for the mash "remote" unit. If anybody sees anything really wrong, let me know. The indicator lights will be wired in parallel to the 24VAC and 110VAC outputs and are 24VAC & 110VAC LEDs, respectively. I will probably add in some fuse protection (2.5A) in-line with the 110VAC hot input before to the main power switch.
Here's my primary question: might it be a bad idea to have the 24VAC transformer in the same box where I've got the terminals and wiring for my thermister probes? Will this potentially cause interference? I expect they will be about 4 inches apart in the final build box. Alternatively, I could separate the BCS CAT5 input, thermister inputs, and selector switches into 1 box (maybe using 5VDC indicator lights so they are next to the selector switches), then run another bit of CAT5 to another small box with the 110VAC in, SSRs, 24VAC transformer and outputs (to pump and gas valve). Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've already gotten a lot from this forum to get to this point. (Hopefully, I haven't gotten it all wrong!)
Attachments
BCS wiring2.jpg
BCS wiring2.jpg (202.47 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
IheartTRAIL

Re: Transformer and temp probe wiring in same box?

Post by IheartTRAIL »

OK, so the basic wiring setup worked fine. Everything does what it's supposed to. I still don't know about interference with the temp probes, but I went with a much bigger box, so I've got a bit more distance. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my temp probes to arrive, so I don't know if there will be an issue. One weird thing, I am reading ~60 F on TEMP3, even though I'm not using it and there's nothing hooked up to it. Anybody have any ideas on what's going on with that?

Thanks!
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

I think you will be fine, but a real picture may tell us more. If you do experience issues, you could shield it inside your box, or there are units that mount through a conduit hole on the outside of your box.

-mike
IheartTRAIL

Post by IheartTRAIL »

Thanks for the input. It looks like you're right--I got it all running last weekend and there don't appear to be any issues. Well, no electrical issues, at any rate. I tried to convert a 6" high pressure banjo-like burner to low pressure, but when I got the flame burning right it still didn't push out as much heat as I'd like. I think I was limited by the amount of oxygen that thing could pull in. Now I've got to figure out how to mount that giant 11" low-pressure banjo burner into my stand...
Stackhouse

Post by Stackhouse »

Hey Iheart,

Im getting set up with the same honeywell gas valve that you have. was wondering how you wired the terminals on the valve to the transformer. im assuming its the hot wire to TR terminal / Com wire to TH? havn't seen any literature that has a setup bypassing the thermostat.

Thanks in advance