Help With Chest Freezer Using a BCS

Discussion of the physical aspects
artguy
Bot?: No

Help With Chest Freezer Using a BCS

Post by artguy »

I have a bcs hooked up my chest freezer and I cant seem to get it to work. I am no stranger to wiring a bcs. This is my second unit that I am going to use strictly for fermentation . I know everything is wired correctly. All outputs work fine they have been tested using a floor fan. Here is what is happening,

I have 2 relays. Both have the appropriate temp probe association and each works fine when I turn the output off and on on the main page. The chest freezer I have is 3 amps. and I am using the 25 amp relays. When I plug the freezer into the output and turn it on manually through the main screen the freezer turns on no problem. When I start a process the freezer sounds like it is simply not getting enough juice. The compressor sounds like it is starving for electricity, then it stalls/turns off and I have to wait 5 minutes before it will turn on again. I have checked the process settings. I have one state that has output 0 enabled, pid controlled and a temp set at 40 degrees. There is no duty cycled checked. I also changed the setting from heat to cool for that relay in the system settings. Any ideas?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Help With Chest Freezer Using a BCS

Post by JonW »

PID cycles it too fast. Change to Hysteresis mode and you should be good.
artguy

Post by artguy »

Thanks so much that worked! I put the pulse period to 6 and the min and max to 100% Was I correct in thinking by doing that I was ensuring a small trickle of current would not go to my compressor and damage it?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Those options only apply to PID. PID works well for electric heating elements, but not generally for other things like compressors. For compressors, you need to be fully on, so the hysteresis model works better.