problem daisychaining 7 segment display - SOLVED

Discussion of the physical aspects
tcook
Bot?: No

problem daisychaining 7 segment display - SOLVED

Post by tcook »

HI, I have three PID Display modules from Oscsys.com. I have each display working separately with the proper addresses set. My problem is when I have all 3 connected and power up the system I get 3 flashing displays. I get the same result with just two displays connected, but everything starts fine with just one display connected. When I start with only one display connected, I can get a second and third display to work if I connect the jumpers after the first one displays.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it expected behavior?
Last edited by tcook on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcook

Re: problem daisychaining 7 segment display

Post by tcook »

SOLVED
I swapped out my crappy 12V .5amp Power Supply with a crappy 12V 1amp Power Supply.
SDFarmer

Re: problem daisychaining 7 segment display - SOLVED

Post by SDFarmer »

Chuckle... thanks for the solution. I have done this "trick" on a number of applications/installations and am known as a "Dammed" genius. Let's just keep it a secret. The other one is if a "supply" gets hot a higher current supply off of Ebay will generally fix that problem. Of course if you are trying to drive a short, etc... just a disclaimer. Oh and then there is the commercial product (read warranteed product) whose supply craps out over time (just ran across this and was told that it was my old house's wiring was at fault, HAH!) back to Ebay... I once installed a shelf bracket on the wall and hung the offending (read "hot-as-a-pistol) supply from it and eliminated that one. On really difficult installation I have really considered taking the supply apart and installing a heatsink on the offending part (generally a transformer) which is not generally designed for "sinking" but we can be a creative lot...

You know what "they" say, "You can't make a product idiot proof because the idiots are so darn clever" From a former engineer.

Glad to here this is fixed... thanks.