Basic wiring and power questions

Discussion of the physical aspects
el_hombre
Bot?: No

Basic wiring and power questions

Post by el_hombre »

I am at the point in my build that I am starting to work our the smaller details. Right now I am trying to come up with the grand plan of how to run my wires and have a question for everyone.

I have a lawn sprinkler box that I am going to put my BCS and everything else into. I would like to put my SSR's in there, too. However, the exact particulars of how to run the 120VAC wires to the various pumps and solenoids has me a bit torn. My primary question is should I run the 120VAC lines from the SSR inside the sprinkler box directly to the device it controls, or should I run the 5v control wire to the SSR and put the SSR closer to the device in a separate enclosure similar to what JonW did (he used duplex outlets)? None of my devices came with three-prong outlets, just bare wires, so I was thinking of just soldering the wires to the wires coming out of the SSR (maybe some kind of quick disconnect to make maintenance easier).

Second question, if I were to put the SSR's in the sprinkler box, how would I get power to each of them? Should I run the power line in a series? I have seen some ideas of using some kind of common terminal but I don't know the name of it so if someone could help with that would be most appreciated.
bergerrings

Re: Basic wiring and power questions

Post by bergerrings »

Hey el_hombre

I had the exact same dilema when I was building my setup. As far as what will 'work' the best, either way is fine. The distances that these cables will be running are way to short to worry about signal loss or anything else along those lines.
First thing you should check is how much current your total system will draw, so add up your 12VDC power supply (if you have one ?), any elements, pumps etc. Not sure about the US (I asssume you are in the US with your 120VAC) but in Aus normal single power sockets (and hence the extension cables that will be wired into the system to use as power leads) cannot be more than 10A (standard) so you MAY have to use 2 or more power leads.

For my setup I have wired everything into one box and then have a couple large conduits (flexible protective pipe that contains electrical cables) feeding into the brew stand which then connects to the pumps, heaters, bla bla. One conduit is for power cables and the other is for the temperature probes (these must be kept seperate from powered cables....especially along runs). This way all the small and delicate 5V cables are contained within my cabinet and to be honest, the cabinet looks pretty sweet when its filled with cables and electrical equipment!

For your second question:
If you were to have your SSR's seperate then provided they dont draw more current than a single power lead can handle then just run an extension cord into the SSR box and use 'terminal blocks' to split the cable into the various SSR's. If you need two power leads then just do the same as previous but keep them seperate so you have two circuits.

I guess in a quick summary....If you have one box that can fit everything then do this, otherwise if it doesn't and you have two smaller boxes that can fit everything in then go that option....both will work it's just what will be easist/work for your situation.

Hope I helped and didn't just give you more questions haha!
el_hombre

Post by el_hombre »

Thanks for the reply. That did help. Especially the part about isolating the temp probe wires from the SSR positive wires. I forgot/didn't know about that :D .

I have been thinking about how I am going to do this a bit more and decided I am going to have two (or maybe three) enclosures. My thinking is that I want the box with the BCS to be permanently mounted on a wall so I can also one day use it to temp control a freezer for fermentation. I will then run ethernet cables from the BCS enclosure to the secondary enclosure for the SSR's.

So, I am looking at how to distribute power to the devices. I found this distribution block on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/NEWMAR-PX-2-JUNCT ... B001H8Z8O2. Is it possible to run a 120VAC from a standard 3-prong wire to this box and then connect the terminals on the SSR's to it? The intended use appears to be for boats, so that would likely mean 12 or 24V DC, but even the manufacturer doesn't say if it can be used for just DC or can be used for AC as well. None of my devices have ground wires, so I am assuming something like this would work pretty well.

BTW, I am using propane, so no high amperage concerns.
bergerrings

Post by bergerrings »

My bad, sorry. I meant to say neutral links, not terminal blocks. Bit hard to tell from the picture but they look like terminal blocks which are meant to connect one single wire to another single wire. Sorry, I steered you down the wrong path on that one. If you are looking to distribute power then you need neutral links. I use something similar to this:

http://www.electriciansupplies.com.au/s ... ath=24_225

What sort of valves are you using? Most valves for these sorts of projects are either 12 or 24V DC so in the SSR enclosure you will need 12 or 24VDC power supply. Check the current draw carefully (I have heard than many online stores underrate their valves) and make sure you get a large enough power supply.

Run an AC line into the 'SSR' enclosure and directly into the power supply and then use two neutral links for your DC distribution, one for the positive and one for the negative. It may also be a good idea to get another one and use it as an earth bar and put your pump, power supply, metal frame and anything else with an earth on it.
If you are going to have any other AC equipment near this box then just get another two neutral links for the AC live and neutral lines. Make sure you get small plastic covers for all of these too, that’s pretty important! haha
From your BCS just run RJ45 cable to your SSR enclosure as signal wires. In a single RJ45 cable you should be able to have 7 signal wires (small 5V DC BCS signals) and use the 8th as a common neutral; this should save you a bunch of blue cable running all over the place!

Depending on current draw, SSR type, location, etc, your SSR enclosure may heat up, so at the very least install a vent. If over summer though it starts getting too hot then install a small computer fan. I have two in my enclosure hooked up with a temp probe running through the BCS and on its own small power supply so when I am not using my valves I can shut off the large DC power supply and leave the BCS powered up (for programming purposes) and the fans can turn on if needed. Mine sits outside in the shed and a hot summers day in Australia can get pretty damn hot!
el_hombre

Post by el_hombre »

These are the ball valves I am using: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270847522231?ss ... _532wt_906

These are the solenoids I am using: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Solenoid-Va ... 099wt_1163

There are only two wires coming off the valves. I am assuming they are a pos. and neg. wire. Therefore I am assuming I don't need to worry about neutral (or ground) wires.

I am a bit worried about temps but I look at that as hurdle to overcome if I encounter it.

Thanks bergerrings for your help!