using BCS-460 with Heating Elements

Discussion of the physical aspects
zarko
Bot?: No

using BCS-460 with Heating Elements

Post by zarko »

I had the BCS-460 setup using propane gas for the last couple of years and it worked great. I now want to convert to Electric brewing and want to use (2) 4500 WATT Heating Elements in my HLT and (2) 4500 WATT Heating Elements in my boil kettle. I wired my brewery for 50 AMP service and wanted to see if anyone had advise on how to make this conversion? I was going to use 80 AMP SSR's but don't know the specifications I need to get the correct SSR's ordered. Please let me know what I should be using and also forward a wiring diagram if available.

Thanks so much!
rspiger

Re: using BCS-460 with Heating Elements

Post by rspiger »

Going to the heating elements you will have 220 volts, leg A and leg B. You will either have one ssr on one leg and a contactor to pull both legs closed. Basically leg A thru the ssr and the contactor then the element and leg B straight thru to the contactor and then to the element.
Or you will run both legs A&B thru ssr's (one for each leg) then to the element.
On each leg with a 5500 watt element the amp draw is 22.9 amps drawn thru each of the ssr’s.
Over kill does not matter in this case, it is actually a plus where heat dissipation is concerned.
The main thing to remember is that you must have some way to ensure you cut power to both legs going to the element. That is why the contactor is the most common method; it is a better insurance that the currant is not flowing even if an ssr is closed.
This is the reason you see most systems with an on- off-on selector switch running the contactor, it will ensure you do not get a nasty shock
Blasted Bassett Brewery
rspiger

Post by rspiger »

One after thought, make sure you ground to the kettle it’s self. Before you first fire up the element take an ohm meter and place one end to the kettle and the other to the ground post in connected to the supply power. If your meter gives a nice tone and shows full continuity, only then are you safe to place water in your kettle and turn on the elemen
Blasted Bassett Brewery
zarko

Post by zarko »

So what the the specs for the contractors that I need to use and also the input on 80Amp ssr's?

Thanks for all of your help