integration mounting pics?

Discussion of the physical aspects
bsfixit

Re: integration mounting pics?

Post by bsfixit »

cool so you just run Cat5 cable to a remote location with a fridge , temp probe and SSR. pretty cool !
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

updated control box pictures with heater elements wired to 2 of the SSR's
mpilchuk

Post by mpilchuk »

Thought I already posted this, seems to have disappeared.

Here is my remote box. Cat 5 cable runs to my main box with the BCS in it. Cat 5 carries wiring for a temp probe and two SSR controls. Each outlet is powered by a different SSR. One for Fridge, one for a heater in the fridge. Lamp on top let me know when the SSRs are powered up. I have a long run of cat 5 between my BCS and where the remote is and it seems to be working fine.

75.145.247.241:8000
PW: burp
Attachments
Remote.jpg
Remote.jpg (28.61 KiB) Viewed 6457 times
missing_link

Post by missing_link »

Do you leave the BCS in your brew sculpture powered up when you are not brewing? I'm assuming this would be required to have the remote boxes work.

Tell me if I am wrong but this is what I am envisioning...

1. Set up BCS to control fermentation chamber with laptop.
2. Disconnect laptop but leave BCS powered up and it will control fermentation.
3. When you want to brew, just plug laptop in to BCS and enter the parameters for the brew session

Is this what you are doing?

Linc
mpilchuk

Post by mpilchuk »

Yes, the BCS is on all the time.

>>Tell me if I am wrong but this is what I am envisioning...

>>1. Set up BCS to control fermentation chamber with laptop.
>>2. Disconnect laptop but leave BCS powered up and it will control fermentation.
>>3. When you want to brew, just plug laptop in to BCS and enter the parameters for the brew session

>>Is this what you are doing?

You pretty much got it right on the money. In addition I'll add:
I have my fermentation temp set on Process 3.
If you go to System Settings, at the bottom of the page it says:
Proc3 Force Run at Powerup
If you check the box next to it, it will run Proc3 on startup so if there is a disruption of power, when the BCS starts up proc3 is running.
ALSO with my using proc 3, I can run my brewery with Proc 0,1 and/or 2 and proc 3 will continue to run the fermentation temps while I am brewing.
I have not run my system while proc3 is doing its' thing yet, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

ALSO you can use the Ramp Setpoint mode (in the Add/Edit State machines) to take a beer you are lagering down in temps over a period of time. If you look at my BCS you will see that I have it set under Process 4 to take the fermentation temps from 43 to 35 over a 72 hour period. Of course I may have changed the temp/time before you had a chance to look at my BCS.

This is a Sweet Box for those of us who can appreciate it.
ECC
Bot?: No

Post by ECC »

missing_link wrote:Do you leave the BCS in your brew sculpture powered up when you are not brewing? I'm assuming this would be required to have the remote boxes work.

Tell me if I am wrong but this is what I am envisioning...

1. Set up BCS to control fermentation chamber with laptop.
2. Disconnect laptop but leave BCS powered up and it will control fermentation.
3. When you want to brew, just plug laptop in to BCS and enter the parameters for the brew session

Is this what you are doing?

Linc
I think there are a quite a few BCS-460 users that use them in exactly that way. However I think the majority of people have it hard wired (or wireless) into their home network, and leave it powered up ALL of the time. That's definitely how mine is setup. I just log onto it whenever I want to monitor/control stuff via my laptop. That way you don't have to plug/unplug anything, its plugged in all of the time to the network router.
np0x
Bot?: No

Post by np0x »

Since it only uses 1 watt of power, there is no environmental guilt associated with this model of leaving it on all the time either. :mrgreen:
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
Jay

Post by Jay »

so, based on what I have seen here - I have almost finished my integration. I used a bit of what I have seen and had the luxery of taking what I thought were the best concepts and implementing them. I recently added a small Wireless AP (in client mode) within the box and it actually works! So, I have power in and power out and connectivity for a remote (hmm how to make that wireless?). I am going to make 1 more remote unit and document that build a little better.

Thanks!
-Jay
brewersbasement.com (Has some build pics)
HarvInSTL

Post by HarvInSTL »

Any integration pics of anyone using 240v?
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

http://forum.embeddedcontrolconcepts.co ... p?f=4&t=33

that thread was 240 but all his pictures are missing