integration mounting pics?

Discussion of the physical aspects
P-J

Re: integration mounting pics?

Post by P-J »

The first being it will not work as it is setup in the wiring diagram. The GFCI will trip and not allow you to power up if there is any path to earth independent of your power source.
I take that statement back. It took me a bit to really understand your diagram. (I also had to download the image to see it all.)

I still have some issues with the basic layout for circuit protection. I think it is a really bad idea to run the entire rig through a single mains breaker as the only protection for you and the equipment. There is another way. Have you purchased your CFCI breaker yet?
HarvInSTL

Post by HarvInSTL »

P-J wrote:
The first being it will not work as it is setup in the wiring diagram. The GFCI will trip and not allow you to power up if there is any path to earth independent of your power source.
I take that statement back. It took me a bit to really understand your diagram. (I also had to download the image to see it all.)

I still have some issues with the basic layout for circuit protection. I think it is a really bad idea to run the entire rig through a single mains breaker as the only protection for you and the equipment. There is another way. Have you purchased your CFCI breaker yet?
I agree about it being a bad idea by having it run thru a single mains breaker, so I purchased a Square D Homeline load center (HOM612L100S) last night in the hopes of being able to connect that to the main panel. Then hopefully I could run seperate 30A 240v breakers for the elements and a 15A 120v breaker for the pumps from that load center.

I have not purchased a GFCI breaker yet because I don't want to buy one cheaply off of eBay and it not fit my main panel.
P-J

Post by P-J »

Your plan is a sound one. I'd still like to talk it through with you.

Paul
HarvInSTL

Post by HarvInSTL »

Paul and I had a great chat and when I get back from brewing this evening I will be posting an updated diagram and some of the things we discussed in further detail.

Thanks again Paul and Brett!
slimer

Post by slimer »

I would change it up slightly. Right now, you're powering both 120v heating elements with the Red(hot). I would put one on each hot.

Here's what I have (sorry for it not being finished, but you get the idea):

brewmastershake

Post by brewmastershake »

I finally finished building my control column (mark 1) and running a brew day with it. This certainly isn't as elegant as some of the integrations I've seen here, but for my brewery it does what I need. It also offers a lot of flexibility and allows me to easily change the configuration or move it inside for fermentation control.
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (92.38 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
The basic column is a 4x4 mounted with angle brackets to 3/4" maple. There are three shelves, one for the grant, one for the herms chamber, and one for a laptop. The BCS sits on top of the column and is attached with industrial grade velcro. 4 outlet boxes are connected to the BCS using a cat 5 ethernet cable. Each contains an SSR and is wired so that the switch is an ON override. In the off position the BCS is in control, in the on position the receptacle is on. Each outlet box has a power cable leading to a Belkin multiplug. The multiplug runs through a GFCI and connects to an overhead house circuit. The laptop and BCS also connect to a different overhead circuit. This keeps me from overloading my 15 amp circuit which is close to the max with 2000W of heat sticks. The multiplug also has a Big Red Switch that will kill everything but the BCS and laptop. Below the multiplug is a dual level float switch from morebeer, with the switches in the grant. This controls the pump at the bottom of the column, which exits through the herms coil and back into the mash (top keg). Both the hot liquor tank and the mash tun empty into the grant, or the mash outlet can be redirected into the HLT or the boil kettle. There is a water filter attached to the back of the column as well. The pump and filter hang on nails for easy removal, and the BCS, multiplug, outlet boxes and float switch are all attached with velcro.

Currently I'm still using manual control until I get everything fully integrated. My temperature probes are in the HLT and the end of the recirculation hose entering the mash, plus I've stuck the other two in the grant and herms chamber just for now. The HLT is propane, but contains a 1000w bucket heater controlled by the BCS for small moves and maintaining temperature. The herms chamber also contains a BCS controlled 1000w bucket heater, plus a small aquarium pump to agitate the water. Since the main pump is controlled by the float switch it is not under BCS control. I do see some problems with this since the herms heater is associated with the mash return temp probe. When the pump is switched off the temp quickly drops, which I think will make precise PID control difficult. I try to match my flow rates so that it turns off as little as possible. There is a second pump on the cold side that I operate with the switch on the third outlet.

It still needs some work, but for now it gets everything off the floor and lets me run a pretty good brew.
tscherzi

Post by tscherzi »

I have just purchased my BCS and am looking forward to incorporating into the Brutus like system I am building. I am curious though as I am not familiar with using SSRs is it the live (hot) line that is routed through the SSR or the neutral line? The systems in the thead are awesome.
np0x
Bot?: No

Post by np0x »

You always switch the hot side.

I am trying to determine why if I am switching 220, I need to switch both legs simultaneously. I feel you do, but also think it's going to be a safety only thing, as the circuit will be interrupted. I guess I am just too chicken to take just do one. I will ping my electrician brother in law when he gets back into town and report back. :)
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.