Simple question about pilot lights and amperage

Discussion of the physical aspects
el_hombre
Bot?: No

Simple question about pilot lights and amperage

Post by el_hombre »

I am working on my wiring diagram and have a question. What is the maximum amperage you can run through a LED pilot light (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-NEW-Blue-CO ... 5d2c541758)?

Below is the basic wiring diagram for my system. I am running all 120VAC. My idea is to have 3 position switches (1 NO, 2 NC terminals) between the terminal strip and the SSR. When the switch is off, nothing happens. When in Auto mode (first NC terminal), the BCS will control it. When in On (second NC terminal), the device is turned on regardless of the BCS. I am only using the switches for the pumps and the ball valves, the solenoids will only be controlled through the BCS. I would then run a wire from the first NC terminal on the switch to the LED light and another wire from the output of the SSR also to the LED light. My thinking is whenever there is power going through the circuit, the lights turn on. The pumps are only using 1.4 amps, so not a lot, but I can't find any rating to know if they can handle the load.

Anyways, my wiring diagram so far to help make sense of the above is attached. I have more detailed drawings if they would help. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Brew Rig2.jpg
Brew Rig2.jpg (202.94 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Simple question about pilot lights and amperage

Post by JonW »

You don't want to wire it the way you have it. That is called wiring in series - you want to wire in parallel.

Here's a quick edit of a section of your drawing to show to loads controlled by the same relay/switch.
Parallel_Wiring.png
Parallel_Wiring.png (15.59 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
bergerrings

Post by bergerrings »

Parallel wiring allows the two 'parallel lines' to have different current, drawing only what each device needs. This way you can have tiny LED's indicating high current devices. Make sure they run the same voltage though.
el_hombre

Post by el_hombre »

bergerrings wrote:Parallel wiring allows the two 'parallel lines' to have different current, drawing only what each device needs. This way you can have tiny LED's indicating high current devices. Make sure they run the same voltage though.
I am glad you mentioned this. Is there enough of a difference between 115VAC and 120VAC to worry about it? I am a little confused by that.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

el_hombre wrote:I am glad you mentioned this. Is there enough of a difference between 115VAC and 120VAC to worry about it? I am a little confused by that.
No difference. You'll sometimes see it listed as 110V, 115V, 120V. Target voltage is about 120, but depending how far you are from the transformer, it can be as low as 110.