8 Channel Relay help

Discussion of the physical aspects
Arian Schuessler
Bot?: No

8 Channel Relay help

Post by Arian Schuessler »

Hi. I have searched this forum and the wiki and I have found information that defines what kind of relays will work with the BCS system. I understand I need a 5V input voltage and a normally open relay. What I can't find is a suitable relay that will switch 24V DC devices. The ones I am finding indicate that they are for AC devices only. Am I missing something? Does anyone have a link to a 2,4, or 8 relay board that will work? I bought single din mounted SSR's for my AC pumps, but I need to find a relay to switch my eight 24V valves. Thanks in advance! I'm loving the BCS!
bergerrings

Re: 8 Channel Relay help

Post by bergerrings »

Hey bud,

This relay board should do the trick:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Eight-8-Rela ... 5d323b0de6

I have a 16 channel 12V relay board from these guys and it works well. Have a look around their website, they have a fair amount of useful stuff!

Damo
Arian Schuessler

Thanks! Do you think this board will work? It ships from the US and I can get it in 3 days instead of 3 weeks? I'm dying to get this thing going!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Eight-Way-Cha ... 3f1e6e8f73
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

If you're switching 24V devices, it will make it much easier to use a board that has 24V relays (like what bergerrings posted).

Here's the thing - the outputs on the BCS only trigger the relays - they do not power them. You need a power supply for the BCS, the relays and your valves/accessories. If you're using 24V valves, then use a 24V relay board so you only need one additional power supply.

Technically, you could use the board you listed, but then you would need an additional 5V high output power supply to drive all the relays. Remember, the BCS doesn't power the relays, it only triggers them.
Arian Schuessler

Got it! Thanks!
J26

Post by J26 »

Question:
I got the 24V gas valves and was looking at the electric valves. They are 12-24vdc and the gas valves are 24vac. The relay board is 24vdc control voltage, now my question is as long as we use dc for the valves couldn't we use the same relay board.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Yes, you can use the same power supply to power the relays and the valves (just not the 24vac ones).
J26

Post by J26 »

LOL Jon,
I realized the opposite of that the other night while reading through this thread. I bought me a 24Vdc 2A converter for $11 last night.