Max source power for BCS462

Discussion of the physical aspects
16nine
Bot?: No

Max source power for BCS462

Post by 16nine »

according to the spec sheet, BCS462 has 18 outputs - each able to deliver up to 20-milliamperes. Does this mean that the unit can source a total of 360-milliamperes (assuming 100% duty cycle) for all outputs combined? If not, what is the max total current capacity (and/or other limits)? Is this in addition to the 300-milliamperes 5VDC "Dins"?

Given this info I'm looking forward to finishing the electronics design phase of a 20-gal all-electric, all-grain 2 kettle brew sculpture.

Thx - Phil
Backyard Brewer

Re: Max source power for BCS462

Post by Backyard Brewer »

This answer is from Adam:

Each output can source 20ma, for a total of 360 (bcs462) or 120ma (bcs460). Since DINs are inputs, they don’t need to be counted. But the +5vdc pin definitely does.

I see on the wiki that 5vdc is spec’ed as upto 300ma. This would add up to 420ma/660ma. But this looks like an error in the wiki (I should have separated out 460/462 specs here) because the 5V regulator is only rated upto 500ma. So we should really spec the 462’s +5vdc pin at 140ma or less.
16nine

Post by 16nine »

Thanks Derrin :D
ballz50401

Post by ballz50401 »

Looking at the max mA ratings...would it still be possible to use the +5VDC terminal on the BCS-462 to power a 8 channel SSR board that is rated at 5VDC / 160mA (all channels ON)? Below is a link of the mentioned board I will be using. I planning on using it to switch two 120VAC contactors for my heating elements, direct switching for one 110VAC pump (SSR load rated at 2A max), direct switching for one 110VAC motorized ball valve, and direct switching for a 110VAC alarm buzzer. It looks like it should work on paper, but any insight would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006J4 ... UTF8&psc=1
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

That SSR board isn't made for switching much current. Specs say .1 to 2 amp. It would probably burst into flames if you tried to run a heating element on it.

edit - I just re-read your post and you'd be switching the contactors for the heating elements, not the elements themselves. Yeah, on paper it may work, but I personally would look for something a little more robust.
ballz50401

Post by ballz50401 »

So maybe swapping out the ssr relay board for a standard relay board with a seperate 5VDC power supply would be the better option?

http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-8-Chann ... elay+board

http://www.amazon.com/2000mA-Regulated- ... wer+supply
Rick

Post by Rick »

I've ordered that relay board. Slight hijack, where is everyone getting a ribbon connector for the board input pins? I could solder directly I suppose, but it would be nice to have a plug connector.
ballz50401

Post by ballz50401 »

Rick wrote:I've ordered that relay board. Slight hijack, where is everyone getting a ribbon connector for the board input pins? I could solder directly I suppose, but it would be nice to have a plug connector.
What you need are some screw terminal block connectors. There are alot available for cheap on ebay. Make sure the relay board you use is a sourcing type (meaning it will switch on the relay when the BCS sends it a 5VDC signal). The Amazon link I posted for the 8 channel mechanical relay board above will not work with the BCS. The SSR Board will work, but is rated low (2A instead of 10A) and does not give you the added flexiblity of having a Normally Open AND Normally Closed contacts on the same relay. The mechanical relay has the advantage of wiring an interlock so only one heating element would be enabled at a time. This is what I went with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130806507081?ss ... 1439.l2649
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

That relay board from electronics-salon will work just fine as long as you power it with an external power source. Don't apply 5V power from the BCS to power the relays.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Yikes, thanks Jon I was a bit nervous. I've already got a separate 5V wall wart for it. This is the exact board I bought..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-8-Channel-Re ... 43b92f4fda

The connector I'm looking for goes on the input side. I've looked at the terminal blocks, but I"m unclear how they would attach to the pins/board. I'm thinking it will have to have a connector of some kind since the 12 pin skew is so tight. I"ve looked at the screw terminal block connectors, but they don't look like they'd work. I'll figure it out, I just thought if someone had already plowed that field I'd appreciate the information.