BCS Power Supply?

Discussion of the physical aspects
RonRock
Bot?: No

BCS Power Supply?

Post by RonRock »

I'm in the process of building a brewstand. I will have the BCS mounted as the controller of course. I will have three gas valves controlled by a 24 volt transformer. I don't have room for a receptacle to plug in the transformer that came with the BCS. There will be 120 volts coming to the stand. How best to power my BCS?
ohio-ed

Re: BCS Power Supply?

Post by ohio-ed »

Is there an answer to this question?

What are the BCS power requirements?
Is it possible to eliminate the wall wort?
What would be required?

Thanks,
Ed
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

I'm surprised this has not had more action than this. Surely there is a need for a power supply other than the "wall wort." Maybe as an option?
ECC

Post by ECC »

ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

Thanks... Now another question.

I'm thinking of finding a power supply to;
- Run the BCS
- Provide +dc for "Manual" control of SSR's while bypassing the BCS

Should I bond the common from the "new" power supply to BCS ground or is that not required?

Thanks,
Ed
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Most of us have chosen to run the override on the 24v or 120v side of the relay. Interesting that you are chosing to run this on the input (signal) side. It sounds like it should work.

ECC... Is there any risk of him "back-feeding" the BCS460 causing issues to the electronics?
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

gbrewer wrote:Most of us have chosen to run the override on the 24v or 120v side of the relay. Interesting that you are chosing to run this on the input (signal) side. It sounds like it should work.

ECC... Is there any risk of him "back-feeding" the BCS460 causing issues to the electronics?

I started down the same path as you in my design. But high current selector switches, caused me to re-think.

I am working on a drawing that I should be able to share in a few days. I plan to keep the BCS + control isolated from the "Manual" + control, but would like to bond the grounds to make wiring a bit simpler.

Also, if anyone knows of a source for a chassis mount 6vdc power supply I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ed
ECC

Post by ECC »

Using an external power supply to power the BCS will intrinsically connect the power supply's DC ground to the BCS's GND pins.

Care must be taken to isolate the BCS's outputs to your manual overrides, such as a 3-position switch, or relay. You don't want the BCS driving OFF connected to the manual override driving ON creating a short. But it sounds like you already have that under consideration.
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

ECC wrote:Info on the wiki, first table
http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... ifications

The first table in the wiki appears to describe the included power supply, and says output voltage is 6vdc - 10vdc.

Is that the BCS-460's operating range also or is that just for the provided supply. Reason I'm asking is that I am having a difficult time sourcing a power supply in that range. I can pretty easily find 5v or 12v.

Does the supply voltage impact the output voltage? In other words, if I come up with a 10v supply will my outputs still be 5v (I think the answer is yes, just looking for confirmation)?

Thanks
Ed
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Ed I just found this place,

http://www.acopian.com/power-supply-vol ... m?search=6

Don't know anything about them. Found them from a Google search. I have not checked any prices yet, but it looks like they may have something.

Anybody know anything about this place? Or another?