BCS Power Supply?

Discussion of the physical aspects
timweber
Bot?: No

Re: BCS Power Supply?

Post by timweber »

Bump..

I am at this point in my wiring diagrams as well. My thought was to crack open the power supply and solder to leads on to by pass the metal prongs. But sometime in the future I may want to plug this into the wall again.

Would it be possible to buy another power supply if I mess up the included one?
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

You may want to look at this,

http://forum.embeddedcontrolconcepts.co ... ?f=4&t=267

Although this solution will require a 24v source. If you already have that source for valves it may be a viable solution.
timweber

Post by timweber »

That would work great. How would I connect it to the BCS. Cut the cord to the supplied wall wart and wire it to that power supply? Or is there a seperate power in on the BCS.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

I don't like to cut into things. Although that would work, if sometime you wanted the Wall Wort you would have to splice into the cord. I happen to have a box full of old wall worts from various stuff that has been outdated. I would find a plug that fit the BCS and use that. Being carefull of the correct Positive and Neg connections.

You should also be able to find the plugs at Radio Shack if you don't happen to have a box full of junk transformers. :mrgreen:
ECC

Post by ECC »

timweber wrote:Would it be possible to buy another power supply if I mess up the included one?
Sure, we can get you a new one if you need it. They're about $10.
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

I have been around and around (in my head) about the power supply. I want to mount the BCS inside my control panel box. I really don't like the space requirement of having a receptacle inside the box to plug the transformer into. I bought a din mount receptacle, but hate the wasted space required.

My current line of thinking is to cut and wire in an extension cord to plug the transformer into, then just velcro the transformer to the inside of the box (maybe even to the side or top of the BCS).

I wish the BCS ran diectly on 120vac.
timweber

Post by timweber »

How should I go about purchasing another power supply? I am assuming it looks something like this on the inside.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Sho ... me/FA-24PS

I can just crack open the plastic case and just hard wire that into my AC in.
ECC

Post by ECC »

If you just want to wire directly to AC, why not use something similar to the solution posted earlier in this thread?
http://forum.embeddedcontrolconcepts.co ... t=10#p1242

Seems a lot easier than cracking open en encapsulated transformer, and they're cheap and clean?
timweber

Post by timweber »

I'd just rather have it hard wired in. I've never really seen an outlet inside a PLC cabinet, and it seems like more of a waste of space.

I think $10 is worth it to crack open the power supply and attempt hard wiring.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Ok, good luck.