Splitting Temp Feed

Discussion of the physical aspects
chadillac
Bot?: No

Splitting Temp Feed

Post by chadillac »

Has anyone tried splitting the feed from a temp probe to go to two inputs on a 462? I am using a RIMS tube and I want to average its temp probe for both MLT and HLT functions, each in separate vessels, and always as separate processes. I know I could add another temp probe but I am looking for a cheaper fix.
chadillac

Re: Splitting Temp Feed

Post by chadillac »

So I got a little impatient and tried to split the black wire into two separate temp inserts and I got some really odd values. Not exactly half of the expected temperature but it was certainly off. Can anyone give me some insight as to why? If this only solution finding another spot for a temp probe in the RIMS tube? Also, is there a way to average the temp probes for PID but see the actual values in the GUI screen?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Are you saying you have 3 temp probes and you want to average the RIMS one with each of the other two? The wiring cannot be split to do that, but you could use a relay to switch the leads to two different temp inputs. While it is being switched from one to the other, the unconnected input will read 0. If both of the processes don't run at the same time, this might work.
chadillac

Post by chadillac »

JonW wrote:Are you saying you have 3 temp probes and you want to average the RIMS one with each of the other two? The wiring cannot be split to do that, but you could use a relay to switch the leads to two different temp inputs. While it is being switched from one to the other, the unconnected input will read 0. If both of the processes don't run at the same time, this might work.
Yes that is the gist of it. I want to average my MLT and the RIMS tube during the Mash process and then average the RIMS tube and HLT while I heat my sparge water. I have a tankless Water Heater so heating the sparge water should take less than 10 minutes so running the processes independently shouldn't be an issue.

Could I switch with the Sainsmart 8 SSR board I bought to control other things or do I need a physical switch? Would I just activate an output to charge the relay for one "side" and then deactivate it for the other "Side"? Or do I need to use a mechanical relay that has a COMM/NO/NC to achieve this? And can this be done as separate states within the same process or would i need totally separate processes?

Sorry for the litany of questions but I am a total noob to the BCS and electrical engineering in general.