Steam use at home...

Discussion of the physical aspects
davidmathews
Bot?: No

Steam use at home...

Post by davidmathews »

Anyone else using *LOW* pressure steam in there setups? Just wondering how things are going with BCS if you are. I have a PID controlled steam boiler/HLT that i currently use in a fully manual brewhouse. My boiler is a 15 gallon keg with two 2400W LDE's just connected a 2"-1.5" adapter to the top, the top to a steam manifold. Never run the PID above 235F so limits the pressure to around 8 PSI (there is also a temp fuse that fast blows at 240F, and a PRV that goes at 10/-.25PSI). I use the steam to sanitize fermenters (kegs), my HE; and i also use the steam to direct inject into the MLT to do temperature steps, and i have boiled with an external exchanger a few times. Just throwing this out there. It's an amazingly effective way of doing mash steps.

I AM IN NO WAY SAYING THAT THIS IS A GOOD IDEA!! If you don't know how dangerous steam is, NEVER EVER TRY THIS!!

It works for me and i want the steam function in my BCS system. And i have double-redundant mechanical safeties.
clearwaterbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: Steam use at home...

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

I saw a distiller out in Boulder (boulder spirits, they make 303 vodka, very close to redstone and avery) who had a sankey with an element in it for each one of his potato cookers and for his stills... just had total loss steam, the steam would go through a coil in the still boiler, (or in the case of the potato cooker, the jacket on the kitchen pot), then into a bucket of water.. probably about a foot of water, so .5PSI at that point... ....the steam lost all it's energy by the time it got to the water, and there was no way to pressurize the system(inherent safety).