Using a E.S. 24V relay board for H.W. gas valves

Discussion of the physical aspects
J26
Bot?: No

Using a E.S. 24V relay board for H.W. gas valves

Post by J26 »

Ok so I did a bit of research and didn't find any thing solid as to how to wire this up. I just want to make sure I got the right idea.
Ive got a 110Vac to 24Vac transformer, BCS-462, Electronics Salon 24Vac 8 channel relay board.

1: My plan is to connect the 24Vac out of the transformer to the Vin of the relay board to power the relay channels.
2: Connect ground of relay board to ground of BCS 462
3: Channel one(out) of BCS connects to CH1 input of Electronics salon D-118 so when BCS puts power to CH1 board to switche CH1 on
4: C1 out of relay board channel1 on E.S. connects to 24Vac of H.W.
5: NC1 out of relay board channel 1 on E.S. connects to grnd of H.W.
Hope fully I'm on the right track!
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Using a E.S. 24V relay board for H.W. gas valves

Post by JonW »

What you've written for #4 & #5 confuse me.

The relays have a common (C), normally open (NO) and normally closed (NC) terminals. The C terminal is an input terminal for what you want to switch. When not energized, the relay is feeding that input back out to the NC terminal. Once energized, the relay switches to feed the C input out to the NO terminal.

So, if you want to switch the 24VAC to the valve, you would wire 24V into the C1 terminal and wire the valve to the NO1 terminal.

You might want to sketch up some type of wiring diagram to use for conveying what you're trying to do.
J26

Post by J26 »

Hey John,
I drew it up in paint and saved it as a Bmp, but it says wont allow file type. So I should have it up tomorrow. Yah I understand why they would be confusing sorry about that.
J26

Post by J26 »

Here is my drawing. I would like to put a 24V led in the mix as well...just for sight. Not like when a BG14 kicks on you can't hear it right. I also want to make it switchable to manual over ride so if some thing goes south I got a back up plan...manual!!
Attachments
Honey well wiring diagram jpg.jpg
Honey well wiring diagram jpg.jpg (63.97 KiB) Viewed 8534 times
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Looks pretty good except you also need to power the relay board with the 24V power into VDD. The relays coils are "powered" by the 24V input at VDD and only "triggered" by the BCS power at CH-1.

There's a post & diagram I did here somewhere about wiring in manual override switches. I'll have to find it.
J26

Post by J26 »

Thanks Jon,
I'm going to draw a couple things on my diagram then resubmit it for review. I'm doing my first batch on my system Sunday probably. All manual for now till I get this electrical done. I wont have electric valves yet, but at least I will be able to program the burners and want to put probes in my 4 primary's in my Ferm./conditioning room.
Thanks,
J26

Post by J26 »

Getting quicker with paint!
Attachments
Honey well wiring diagram jpg.jpg
Honey well wiring diagram jpg.jpg (74.41 KiB) Viewed 8525 times
J26

Post by J26 »

Ok so I added a switch for the burners on/off/on. Put it on the low side. Since the relay can be triggered by the 5V out of the BCS, I incorporated another 5vdc supply for the manual control voltage. I want to put an LED for each burner and pump as well, but haven't gotten there yet. Also as far as the 24Vdc and the 5Vdc grnd (dc side of coarse) were do they tye in to each other. The 110AC grnd will get grounded to the metal plate, but were does the DC grounds tye in at?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

It doesn't much matter where you tie them together, but I usually do it right where they come off the power supplies. You also want to bind the DC ground to the AC ground. This will keep the temp probes from bouncing/fluctuating.
J26

Post by J26 »

Yah Jon that's what I was kinda wondering. My plan is to take the grnd ac coming from my a electrical panel in my garage and screwing it to the steel plate in my electrical housing for my rig hear. Then screw my DC grnd to the metal plate as well. So that way all my grnd's will be screwed in to the plate creating the full circuit.