question about wiring temp sensors

Discussion of the physical aspects
ssgross
Bot?: No

question about wiring temp sensors

Post by ssgross »

I have 4 pole speakon connectors for just a temp sensor. The sensor has 2 leads, and a shield wire. The 4 poles of the plug are wired as follows
1: BCS Temp0
2: BCS GND
3: not used
4: Shield wire to panel ground

I have another speakon 4 pole that connects to a freezer. It caries a temp probe, ground, and 2 signal wires, one for a heater the other for the fridge, connected to SSR's by the freezer.
This speakon is wired as follows.
1: BCS Temp1
3: Heater SSR to BCS Out0
4: Freezer SSR to BCS Out1

So, I have a temp plug, and a device plug that also carries a temp sensor.
My question is, what if I plug the temp sensor into the device plug? The drain wire will then connect to Out0. What would happen if Out0 turned on? The drain wire is connected to the probe end, so the probe housing would be energized with 5vdc. Anyone who touches the metal probe end may get a tickle. I am guessing this would cause interference with the probe. My real question is would this
damage the probe or the BCS? The motivation is whether i can disconnect the freezer, and use the plug for a stand alone temp sensor on brew day or any other time I want an extra sensor outside the freezer.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: question about wiring temp sensors

Post by JonW »

ssgross wrote:I have 4 pole speakon connectors for just a temp sensor. The sensor has 2 leads, and a shield wire. The 4 poles of the plug are wired as follows
1: BCS Temp0
3: not used
4: Shield wire to panel ground

I have another speakon 4 pole that connects to a freezer. It caries a temp probe, ground, and 2 signal wires, one for a heater the other for the fridge, connected to SSR's by the freezer.
This speakon is wired as follows.
1: BCS Temp1
3: Heater SSR to BCS Out0
4: Freezer SSR to BCS Out1

So, I have a temp plug, and a device plug that also carries a temp sensor.
My question is, what if I plug the temp sensor into the device plug? The drain wire will then connect to Out0. What would happen if Out0 turned on? The drain wire is connected to the probe end, so the probe housing would be energized with 5vdc. Anyone who touches the metal probe end may get a tickle. I am guessing this would cause interference with the probe. My real question is would this
damage the probe or the BCS? The motivation is whether i can disconnect the freezer, and use the plug for a stand alone temp sensor on brew day or any other time I want an extra sensor outside the freezer.
In the way you propose, you would be shorting the output to ground - not good! Why not just drop the shield wire from the temp probe and leave the other two unconnected. You don't need the shield since the probe is already grounded.
ssgross

Post by ssgross »

I was worried about interference and hence the drain wire. I will run some tests to see whether I need the drain wire or not.

im only worried about accidently firing the output with a standalone probe connected.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

ssgross wrote:I was worried about interference and hence the drain wire. I will run some tests to see whether I need the drain wire or not.

im only worried about accidently firing the output with a standalone probe connected.
Yes, I'd be worried about accidently firing too since you'd be shorting it out!