DINs

Discussion of the physical aspects
oakbarn
Bot?: No

DINs

Post by oakbarn »

As a newbie, I would like to know what DINs that you use.
I would see this as a list of DINs that all users could access.
What is the Input Device? Please be as specific as possible.
Do you have a source? Cost?
How do you use it in a process?
Was there any special knowledge used to wire/use the device?
Is it important to your brewing or just “nice”?
Are there any issues with your use?
Would you use the same device or have you evolved?
Joyride-Brewing

Re: DINs

Post by Joyride-Brewing »

DINS are just dry contacts that you close via a pushbutton, switch, float, relay etc. You use the BCS terminal +5VDC to wire to one side of the normally open contact and you wire the other side of the contact to the DIN (0-7). You can't use any external voltage, current loop etc. from another source.
I use DINS to start a pump and boiler enable, then three temperature input probes output to 3 separate OUTS in parallel to regulate it's respective temp for HLT, MLT and BK to regulate the steam boiler temp.
The OUTS output to SSR's with it's contacts closing voltage to the coils of plug in relays with multi contacts for panel lights etc.
Also I use it to start 5 pre-programmed temperature processes for HLT, MLT and BK via a 6 position rotary switch, for different brewing recipes, so there are many useful ways to use DINS..
-Joe
Last edited by Joyride-Brewing on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brahn

Post by brahn »

I personally don't have any on my system, but one of the guys in my club uses float switches to detect when his HLT is empty and, I think, when his kettle is full. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Stainless- ... 4ad0367623

Like Joyride-Brewing said, I've also seen various pushbuttons/switches used on a DIN.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I have actually thought of using a ladder logic process where you have several float switches in a tank and time the flow between them. As a homebrewer vs a pro, the tank would not have to be that big, maybe a 55 gallon drum with float switches at various levels. Say 10, 15,20,25,30,40, 45 and 50. You could then use float switches with a solenoid valve on the input to fill to any gallons above 15 using either a float switch and rate of flow (time between 10 and 15 to get gals per minute). You could then fill another vessel like the HLT with another set of solenoid valves. This would solve the lack of volume sensor issue on the BCS. We brew a barrel at a time, but smaller system could do the same. Since the Volume Tank would not have to heated, you could use cheap float valves. You could even put it above and HLT so that it could gravity flow into an HLT.