BCS-462 wiring for relay and ball valves

Discussion of the physical aspects
clearwaterbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: BCS-462 wiring for relay and ball valves

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

operating proportional ball valves should not be this hard with the best home brewery controller on the market... if the BCS had 4-20mA you could hook up a 'Johnson-style' proportional valve and be done with it...... even if the BCS utilized the real, hardware PWM, there are inexpensive PWM to 4-20mA converters out there. It frustrates me that the only analog output on the BCS is a slow software driven pulse...

I have an external controller do my proportional valve until maybe someday they get real analog IO on the BCS:

Sestos Controller:
D1S-CR http://www.sestos-hk.com/english/download/d1s-en.pdf
4-20mA PIDcontroller
$30 on eBay (a comparable omron is several hundred dollars)
Thermocouple:

Johnson valve:
VA9104-GGA-2S (PDF)http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/m ... 133615.pdf
(1/2" 2-way non spring return)
$40 on eBay
(this valve has a plastic insert that makes the flow very linear)

FYI - this setup is used to restrict the flow of recirculating flow of cooling water via a centrifugal pump and has zero issues... I just wish it was integrated into the BCS so I could change temp setpoints automatically
Last edited by clearwaterbrewer on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

Your second link no el-worko.

-BD
Timbrew

Post by Timbrew »

Interesting post about the proportional valves and your suggestions seems sensible. Ref:
FYI - this setup is used to restrict the flow of recirculating flow of cooling water via a centrifugal pump and has zero issues... I just wish it was integrated into the BCS so I could change temp setpoints automatically
could you not use duty cycle on your pumps to restrict the flow? This is what I do with good results, but using the BCS :) . Seems there's some issues about duty cycle on pumps but not sure why. Or maybe folks are looking for constant and very precise flow rates? Pulsing a Chugger at <50% through my chiller still produces a fairly smooth flow given the restriction, viscosity etc.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

BrunDog wrote:Your second link no el-worko.

-BD
link fixed... (extra dots somehow put into .com were removed)