Wiring help- mortorized ball valves

Discussion of the physical aspects
BrooklynBrew
Bot?: No

Wiring help- mortorized ball valves

Post by BrooklynBrew »

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping some of you could provide help in wiring up some new ball valves I got from OSCSYS. I'm still quite new to electronics and trying to wrap my head around all of this. I searched all over the forum and the internet but couldn't find too much info that's specific to what I'm doing since I'm using a different relay board.

I already have the BCS462 and it's currently just controlling a pump and temp probes. I've attached a PDF of a wiring diagram with all of the parts I have but I feel like I'm way off. If some of the more experienced members out there could take a look that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sean

PS the PDF attachment keeps putting a black box around the picture of the BCS but is not part of the wiring
Attachments
BallValves2.pdf
(252.49 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Wiring help- mortorized ball valves

Post by JonW »

No, you definitely don't want to wire it like you have it!!

The way you have it setup, you are using two outputs to control one valve. Not only is it a waste of outputs, but you run the risk of turning on both outputs at the same time and powering both inputs of the valve - not something you want to do.

If you use the relay board that was suggested or use any generic SPDT relay, you can use one output to trigger the relay and it can provide power to the close circuit or open circuit of the valve as needed.

Here are a few posts discussing setting up the valves - there are more posts buried in the forum:
http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2366
http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=489
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

BrooklynBrew wrote:I've attached a PDF of a wiring diagram with all of the parts I have but I feel like I'm way off.
I should add that it may be possible to wire your valves using that board and one output, but since you've not included the wiring requirements of the valve, I'm unable to determine that.

There are usually two different models of those valves and thus 2 ways to wire them. The valves I have use method #1 below and are best wired using a SPST relay so as to not ever apply voltage to wire 2 & 3 at the same time.

Method #1:
Wire 1 = Gnd
Wire 2 = +12V to open valve
Wire 3 = +12V to close valve

Method #2
Wire 1 = Gnd
Wire 2 = +12V constant
Wire 3 = +12V switched to open/close valve
BrooklynBrew

Post by BrooklynBrew »

Thanks for the info Jon-
using two ports for one valve did seem like a waste. After reading the post you suggested I figured I would need a common 12V+ source. I called up OSCSYS and they suggested the same.

I'll try to post a pic of the wiring diagram shortly but 12V+ to red closes the valve and 12V+ to green and red open the valve

I've attached a new diagram
Attachments
BallValves3.pdf
(252.33 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Ah, good, you're lucky yours uses method #2 that I listed. I actually like that method better as it is easier to wire for.
BrooklynBrew

Post by BrooklynBrew »

I've attached a picture of the ball valve wiring scheme from the box
Attachments
photo (5).JPG
photo (5).JPG (119.01 KiB) Viewed 4480 times