8-Channel Relay Module, in reverse...? really?

Discussion of the physical aspects
ColeR
Bot?: No

8-Channel Relay Module, in reverse...? really?

Post by ColeR »

Hello all,

Now I have some electrical knowledge and experience ,

But when you buy something you expect it to work. So I’m preparing all my bits and pieces for when I get my bcs-460, I read the wiki, and it says to get a 5v dc relay similar to the picture, easy right,, not so.. so I order a “SainSmart 8-Channel Relay Module” and when I get it hooked up each stupid led indicator lights come ON when the bcs-460 out0-5 is set to off…… grrrrr. And the leds turn OFF when the out0-5 is set to on.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005 ... UTF8&psc=1

ok so was it me or the relay. I think i read somewhere that there are reverse relays...

thanks
ColeR
mavantix

Re: 8-Channel Relay Module, in reverse...? really?

Post by mavantix »

Maybe you have it hooked up to the devices backwards? Each relay has three contacts, one normally closed and one normally open and the common, so it can be wired to activate your device when signaled to be off or on, depending on what you want.
ColeR

Post by ColeR »

I wish it was that simple, all i had hooked up was the BSC-460 to the relay board, nothing else, (well except, power and cat5). i didn't have anything hooked up to relays NC, NO or the Comb.

i imagine it would all work fine as long as i could grasp and wire it in a way that when the light is on, the power to the relay is off. i dont think my brain can do it, i have to see it as, no led, no power to the relay. if the led is lit then it has power.

as for wiring, ground, 5v out from BCS to relay boards clearly marked pins, then the out0-5 again to the marked pins on the relay board. i can hear the relays clicking

if the new relay board i ordered operates the same way, i'll find the exact board that is shown in the WIKI. pictured below

Thanks
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

I ran into this a couple years ago... still have that 8-relay board in my parts box..

http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.p ... 3619#p3619

maybe we should have a warning in the "Wiring and Physical Specifications" section?

Discrete Outputs (Outs)
Discrete Outputs are rated at 5VDC up to 20mA each. These outputs are sourcing, meaning that they are 5VDC when the output is ON. The BCS is designed to control relays, and not to drive high current loads. A typical application is to use Solid State Relays (SSR) for this purpose. To control SSRs, wire the SSR Input positive (+) terminal to Out0 (or other Out) located in connector P0, and the SSR Input negative (-) terminal to GND, respectively. There are three identical GND terminals available, use the one that is most convenient.

add something like this?
If you use a relay board, power for the board will have to be separate from the BCS, and make sure that the relays energize on a high input, not on grounding.