Sensor issues looking for troublshooting help.

Discussion of the physical aspects
tator2k
Bot?: No

Sensor issues looking for troublshooting help.

Post by tator2k »

I recently moved and I was running my setup for the first time at my new place and I've ran into a couple issues I need help or guidance with.

Running a BCS-460 50A setup. Currently for my testing I am only using one 15 gal kettle with water.

With my original setup I always felt that my probes were off by a few degrees but I didn't get a chance to test and understand more about the system.

Today I'm using a 6" ECC probe through a SS 'T' welded into side of kettle, as well as, another probe hung directly into contact with the water from the top edge of the kettle.

Initially everything appeared normal, readings were 66 at my digital thermometer, and the probes were at 65.4 and 66.1

After running for a few minutes the thermometer was reading 100, while the probes were reading 78 and 84. I've never seen this type of variance before.

Here's the following table:

Thermometer: 66, 100, 130, 155, boil

In-kettle: 65.4, 78, 106, 131, 184

Hanging: 66.1, 92.8, 121, 146, 192

The variances in temp readings was odd as well, at one instance on the hanging probe I would see the correct matching temp of thermometer but then it would drop 5 degrees/sec until it was back to a stable reading approx 15 degrees low.

I don't have enough experience to know where to go or what to look for.

Thank you