Temp probes screw into what?

Discussion of the physical aspects
brewmastershake

Re: Temp probes screw into what?

Post by brewmastershake »

Here is what I found to work, no welding required. My keg has an existing hole I drilled for a sight gauge that is slightly larger than necessary for the larger threaded portion of the thermocouple. I decided to try with that before drilling more holes. The guys at Home Depot recommended using a #10 o-ring on both sides of the keg wall, and on the inside using a pipe bushing to tighten everything up. They are brass, Watts A-778 Pipe Bushings, 3/8" MIP x 1/4" FIP. Worked like a charm, and under $12 for enough to do 4 probes.

[img]IMGP6633.jpg[/img]
IMGP6633.jpg
IMGP6633.jpg (25.86 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

great info
I am thinking about getting that hardware and hard wiring those elements in the sanke and
see how they perform.. I found this PDF that uses a large plate with threads for the element and a O-ring for sealing ..
but your info looks much simpler.. I will post a link when I locate it.
thanks
brett
rabeb25

Post by rabeb25 »

Return the o-rings, and pick up some Teflon tape, that's all you need.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

Teflon tape is always needed IMO. here is the link I was looking for http://www.artisan-distiller.org/design ... rMount.pdf
still site but.. should seal well.. nice to know I have a backup plan

I thought it was 1/2" by 1/4 " is it 3/8 like printed on the bag? wait .. MIP fittings... not NPT
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

here is how I ran the temp probe 0
datamike

Post by datamike »

bsfixit wrote:Image

here is how I ran the temp probe 0
I like the quick disconnect fitting on that probe! You have a part number and retailer? Did you need to recalibrate the probe after that?

Thanks!
Michael
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

the connectors are called power connectors , I believe they come in 2 , 4 ,9 and 12, pin. I got all of them from Radio Shack. Some stores have a cabinet full of
hobby electronic parts. I soldered all connections. and resistance is still zero across the plug. so I saw no need to recalibrate the sensor settings base on that.
cost was minimal. 1.40 to 2.99 depending on how may pins. they also have VGA monitor type plugs. male and female. so they can be mounted on the exterior of the
housing and unplugged like you do a VGA computer monitor. They cost more and require a bit more skill in soldering than the power connectors.
As I just posted in another thread.. I can take the BCS out of its power dist housing and bring it inside so its not outside in the florida weather all year on my covered porch.
Brett