Temp probes screw into what?

Discussion of the physical aspects
bsfixit

Re: Temp probes screw into what?

Post by bsfixit »

the reason for all the names is that some fittings seal with a taper and others dont. some have flares too, and compression fittings with crush sleeves.
etc.
slimer

Post by slimer »

I think the "reducer" is actually called a bushing.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I could not find anything like that in copper at HD. What do most people use to put this in the wort stream for temperature ?
I would rather use SS than brass. does anyone have a picture?
IrishBeerBaron

Post by IrishBeerBaron »

bsfixit wrote:I could not find anything like that in copper at HD. What do most people use to put this in the wort stream for temperature ?
I would rather use SS than brass. does anyone have a picture?
If you wanted to go the stainess route, you could splice in a 1/2" tee to your line -
e.x. http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/item6103.htm -
and then add a 1/2" x 1/4" bushing
e.x. http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/item6273.htm -
to the top of the tee ( screwing your temp probe in there )

Of course, if you are worried about the brass ( I am not ), you would also need to replace the compression fitting that comes with the thermistor.
datamike

Post by datamike »

that's great info Irish! Thanks!

Is the correct stainless compression fitting available at that site as well? I haven't received my probes yet so I am not exactly sure what I need.

Thanks!

Michael Shannon
BJCP Certified Beer Judge
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

Thanks .. I think I would have to put the probe in the side not the top they are 4 and 6" long. I was hoping to avoid hard plumbing things. keep it all silicone or thermoplastic
tubing. maybe some SS barbs 1/2" I could clamp on .. yeah thats the ticket ! thanks
Brett
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

That website doesnt work very well . I get a "bad request" error message. I will try it later
IrishBeerBaron

Post by IrishBeerBaron »

datamike wrote: Is the correct stainless compression fitting available at that site as well? I haven't received my probes yet so I am not exactly sure what I need.
Hi Mike - looks like they do have SS compression fittings on the site, but they are very pricey.

However, based on info from John Palmer, my plan is to keep the compression fittings that come with the thermistors and pickle them in hydrogen peroxide and vinegar ( see http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html ) I have done this in the past for my quick disconnects and ball valves and have never worried about it.
IrishBeerBaron

Post by IrishBeerBaron »

bsfixit wrote:Thanks .. I think I would have to put the probe in the side not the top they are 4 and 6" long. I was hoping to avoid hard plumbing things. keep it all silicone or thermoplastic
tubing. maybe some SS barbs 1/2" I could clamp on .. yeah thats the ticket ! thanks
Brett
Note that the thermistor actually senses at the tip, so you can simply slide the compression fitting down to wherever you need it, so you can still put it in from the top.

If avoiding hard plumbing, can use a couple of these:

e.x. http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/item6467.htm

Also, even though I am linking to buyfittingsonline for the pictures, I am no way endorsing them as I have not bought from them before.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

thank I didnt know that .. so only the tip does the sensing.. why do I keep getting an error on that site ( bad request) I am going to try my windows desktop and see if that works.. thanks for the help

EDIT: The error "bad request" is on my MAC . windows I dont get the error. strange.. I will order from a windows machine