BCS wall wort connection

Discussion of the physical aspects
el_hombre
Bot?: No

BCS wall wort connection

Post by el_hombre »

Just looking for inspiration...

How are others connecting the wall wort of the BCS to power within the enclosure? I have the wall wort for both the BCS and another for a Netgear WiFi adapter I am going to use to access the BCS remotely. How is everyone else going about getting the wall wort connected to 120v in the enclosure? I thought about mounting and wiring up a wall outlet inside my enclosure but I don't have the clearance I hoped for. I thought about just running some wire right off the terminal block and solder it directly to the worts, but that seems hacky. I am not using DIN rails unfortunately so I am kind of stuck with the clunky SSR's of old.
Broph

Re: BCS wall wort connection

Post by Broph »

outlet inside the control box.
Inside_panel_sm.jpg
Inside_panel_sm.jpg (151.47 KiB) Viewed 6245 times
controlbox_sm.jpg
controlbox_sm.jpg (140.55 KiB) Viewed 6245 times
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
pngaudioguy

Post by pngaudioguy »

Broph - Your logo, name, and slogan crack me up. Current AD AF, so I can laugh at myself, right?

el_hombre - I'm sure it's not "to code", but I believe some forum members have used female spade connectors of an appropriate size for the blades on the wall plug for a super space-saving design. Of course, make sure they're insulated. I would probably give the connections a good squeeze for grip and a wrap of heatshrink for extra insulation, personally. I'm planning to put an outlet inside my enclosure when I build.
Broph

Post by Broph »

[quote="pngaudioguy"]Broph - Your logo, name, and slogan crack me up. Current AD AF, so I can laugh at myself, right?

Yes you can with honor too!
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
el_hombre

Post by el_hombre »

Thanks Broph. How deep is your enclosure? It looks like yours is about the same depth as mine (mine is 5") so maybe it will work. It looks like you are compressing the wire some, but I guess that isn't as bad a deal as I thought.
Broph

Post by Broph »

el_hombre wrote:Thanks Broph. How deep is your enclosure? It looks like yours is about the same depth as mine (mine is 5") so maybe it will work. It looks like you are compressing the wire some, but I guess that isn't as bad a deal as I thought.
4" D x 14" T x 12" W
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

BCS Box:
BCS Box.JPG
BCS Box.JPG (45.96 KiB) Viewed 6223 times
This is mine. I have a box for the BCS. It has a switched outlet (with a Pilot Light on the switch) that the Wall Wart is plugged into. The DINs are wired to a DIN Box. The Outs and the Temp Probes are wired to an SSR Box. The SSRs for my pumps were wired to my old Pump Panel. Both the Out and the old Pump Switch must be on for the pump to have power. This way, I am never fooling around 110/240 vac when working with the DIN or BCS. I placed the BCS so I can do a Hard Reset if needed.

DIN Box:
Din.JPG
Din.JPG (36.44 KiB) Viewed 6223 times
The Din Box is just above my BCS Box. The Lighted switch to the right is my Wall Wart outlet.

SSR Box:
SSR.JPG
SSR.JPG (52.4 KiB) Viewed 6223 times
Out of the way. Could be a PITA :oops: to work on. Have not had to do that yet.

Old Pump Box:
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

OLD Pump Box:
Pump Panel.JPG
Pump Panel.JPG (29.59 KiB) Viewed 6221 times

I wired the SSRs to my old manual control box. The switches are illuminated. Both the SSR and the Switch must be on for a pump to be powered. It was easy to just wait this way as I already had everything to the pumps after this box. I like that I can see the pump is on. In this pix the Blue Pump is on.

Pump Cover:
Red Pump Cover.JPG
Red Pump Cover.JPG (53.35 KiB) Viewed 6221 times
This is my Red Pump. It is just a painted cover. And yes, We have 4 Pumps and a spare. We connect all our Pipes and Tubes and have Valves to set the flow. Years ago, we did have an idiot (me) disconnect the wrong tube and had to visit the ER with a hot foot! We NEVER mess with a hose on brew day, just a series of valves.

We have the Pumps so that we can quickly (less than 4 minutes), change to the spare.
pngaudioguy

Post by pngaudioguy »

Sorry for the hijack I think I caused, el_hombre, but thanks for the pics oakbarn. I'm planning on doing DIN rail for most stuff in my build, and I didn't even think about doing a DIY rail mount for the BCS.
Broph

Post by Broph »

I was hoping Oakbarn would post an apology for submitting a photo containing a Bud Light sign... :mrgreen:
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery