BCS wall wort connection

Discussion of the physical aspects
pngaudioguy
Bot?: No

Re: BCS wall wort connection

Post by pngaudioguy »

Haha - that's actually one of my challenges to myself when I start brewing again next summer. I want to brew a beer that's 4% or less ABV, nearly see-through, and full of flavor.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Bud Light Sign: Sorta like a dog around me that bit you. Not my dog. I don't own a dog. I will not touch "Bud Lite" but my brew buddies all got out the pre marital dorm room stuff (that their SWMBO will not allow hung at their house) and hung it. I guess they just want to relive their youth.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

pngaudioguy wrote:Haha - that's actually one of my challenges to myself when I start brewing again next summer. I want to brew a beer that's 4% or less ABV, nearly see-through, and full of flavor.

Low abv, yes, See thru, yes but Bud Light has zero flavor. :D :D :D :D
Broph

Post by Broph »

oakbarn wrote:Bud Light Sign: Sorta like a dog around me that bit you. Not my dog. I don't own a dog. I will not touch "Bud Lite" but my brew buddies all got out the pre marital dorm room stuff (that their SWMBO will not allow hung at their house) and hung it. I guess they just want to relive their youth.
Your brew buddies are a bad influence. You need to get a dog that bites..
oakbarn_retro.jpg
oakbarn_retro.jpg (223.13 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
Last edited by Broph on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
Broph

Post by Broph »

Last edited by Broph on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
pngaudioguy

Post by pngaudioguy »

Haha - I didn't intend to imply that bud light was full of flavor. Just to make sure that the record is clear. Just that it reminds me of one of my challenges to myself - make something that looks like bud light but tastes like beer.

Regardless, this thread has gone pretty far from the OP's question... Are there any other suggestions for mounting a wall plug in a panel that perhaps haven't been mentioned?
jward

Post by jward »

I have been wondering about using a computers switching power supply. I saved a few external disk drive cases with power supplies that are much smaller then a full sized one for a power hungry computer. I have not checked to see if the wall wort supplies AC or DC etc. On the upshot it would supply 12v for the temp displays.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

jward wrote:I have been wondering about using a computers switching power supply. I saved a few external disk drive cases with power supplies that are much smaller then a full sized one for a power hungry computer. I have not checked to see if the wall wort supplies AC or DC etc. On the upshot it would supply 12v for the temp displays.
Yes, you absolutely can use any 5V/12V PS as long as you can supply enough current for the devices you intend to operate. Anything in the 1 to 1.5 amp range should be sufficient - unless you have some exotic devices that use an amp each to drive them. If you have an external PS that provides both 5V and 12V, that would be a great solution.

BTW, welcome aboard John!
jward

Post by jward »

Do you know if you run a 24v coil in a relay or contactor off of one of these? An engineer suggested you can by using the +12v as the positive and the -12v as the ground. I have not tested.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Yes you can. However, you need to look at the current draw of the coils and make sure that your combined draw does not exceed the output capabilities of the PS. e.g. If each relay needed 100ma of current and you only had a 500ma PS, you could only power 5 relays at once. Just make sure your PS has plenty of spare current available.