Wiring Diagram for 2 Honeywell VR8200A Gas Control Valves

Discussion of the physical aspects
Minnino
Bot?: No

Wiring Diagram for 2 Honeywell VR8200A Gas Control Valves

Post by Minnino »

I am new to the electrical world of things and wanted to run a wiring diagram by another set of eyes and ask a few questions about it to make sure i dont burn my house down. I am using a BCS-460 to control 2 Honeywell VR8200A2132 gas control valves, converted to use LPG. The transformer in use is a Honeywell AT175A1008. I am also using SSR-40DA solid state relays. My understanding of this is that I need to step my 120v power down to 24VAC using this transformer to operate the control valves. I have been looking at multiple wiring diagrams across the forum and think I have a pretty good grasp on it. My original plan was to use 2 transformers, one for each gas control valve, but after doing some more research on the topic it looks like i can get away with a single transformer for both valves.

In my diagram I am using bus bars denoted by the different colored squares. Also the 120v wires are thicker lines compared to the 24VAC wires. My first question I is do I have to ground the transformer? I would assume so but I did not see a ground wire coming out of it, but there was screw on the outside of it, but based off the documentation I saw that was for using a mounting plate. If someone could please clarify this information it would be great. Also any feedback on my first design would be much appreciated. It is a work in progress and im a complete noob when it comes to electrical, I have basic knowledge with it, hot, neutral, ground really and have done a bunch of research on how the relays and transformers work.

I am not very interested in lights all over my control box, but am open to suggestions if there is a reason for it as opposed to it just looking bad ass. Also I plan to put a kill switch in between the main hot line in and the AC hot bus bar. Looking for sugguestions and any safety concerns before starting to build this. In the future the BCS will also control 2 pumps but that looked a bit easier to wire up, but will be incorporated into this diagram once the control valves are dialed in. Thanks everyone, sorry if this topic over laps in a few places on the forum.
Attachments
ControlValveWiring-v1.jpg
ControlValveWiring-v1.jpg (71.87 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Wiring Diagram for 2 Honeywell VR8200A Gas Control Valve

Post by JonW »

Looks pretty good to me. You may want to change your label that says "24V DC Ground" to either 24V AC Ground or Neutral since it isn't a DC connection.

Also, you will want to place a jumper between the AC ground and the BCS 5V DC Ground. Doing so will minimize temperature fluctuations.
Minnino

Post by Minnino »

Thanks Jon! I have read a bunch of your forum topics, and I must say you are the man when it comes to this stuff, and you have a killer rig! I changed the labeling on my '24V DC' bus bar to '24V AC Neutral' and placed a jumper from the AC Ground to the 5V DC Ground. Any thoughts on if the transformer needs to be connected to a ground somewhere?

Are there any other suggestions you might have on this design to enhance it a bit? What gauge wire should I be using on the 120v and 5/24v side of things? I wanted to put a CAT5 port on the side of my box so that I could run a network cable out to my control valves so that I can disconnect them when not in use. is the 24AWG wire sufficient to do carry this current? Can that also be used from the BCS to the SSR, and from the SSR's to the transformer?

Thanks again! I will have to start working on the design for the pumps next.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

The CAT5 wiring is fine for all the 5V BCS stuff and likely OK for the 24V valves as well. However, not knowing the current draw of the valves, I'd be hesitant to use 24AWG. You can always double up the conductors on the CAT5 also and for the 24V stuff, that might be prudent. You can use 14 or 16 AWG for the 120V requirements.

When I first made my rig, my BCS was wall mounted and all the relays & power supplies were under the bottom shelf. I used CAT5 wire to run the temp probes and inputs/outputs back to the BCS and it worked great. I later relocated the BCS to be under the stand also, but only because I was taking my rig to some other places to brew.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I run cat5 for all the outs to the SSRs in a box that is about 30 foot from the BCS and have not had any issues with the SSRs control. I am in the process of adding a furnace valve to my HLT and your diagram helped me. :D
Minnino

Post by Minnino »

Awesome, I'm glad that my poor visio skills can help :) I hope everything works out for you.

Im still wondering about the wiring on the transformer, I have seen people set it up in multiple different ways. The manual for the Honeywell is located here (http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.p ... well#p3034) on there it marks the 'common' wire as being black, and the 120v wire as being white, opposite of what i have been taught with electrical. But in that document it states this "BLACK IS COMMON WITH RESPECT TO THE TRANSFORMER WINDING ONLY AND NOT THE EXTERNAL CIRCUIT" which would lead me to believe that my wiring diagram is correct, my AC HOT would go into the black wire on the transformer, and my AC Neutral would go into the white wire on the transformer for 120v. But i have read in multiple places that people connected their AC HOT to the white wire on the transformer, and their AC Neutral to the black. Not quite sure what the correct way is, I am hoping someone smarter than me (which does not take much) can clarify that, as well as if the transformer needs to be connected to the AC Ground, and if so using which wire?

Also on the control valve I have see it wired in 2 different ways, one, how i have it in my diagram, the 24VAC Ground (incorrectly labeled as 24 DC Ground, thanks Jon) connected to the TR connector on the valve, and my 24VAC HOT connected to the TH connector on the valve. The other way I have seen is is the exact opposite. Does anyone have any experience with these specific valves that could point me in the right direction and provide some clarification? My understanding is that H in TH stood for HOT, but I could be WAY off on that. Thanks!