Wiring Diagram to run a Duplex Outlet for 2 Pumps

Discussion of the physical aspects
Minnino
Bot?: No

Wiring Diagram to run a Duplex Outlet for 2 Pumps

Post by Minnino »

Hey Guys,

I am running into a problem trying to get my BCS-460 to power a duplex outlet, which will run my 2 pumps. I have attached a visio of my wiring diagram to see if anyone can figure out what might be happening. I am able to get power to my BCS unit and can see power on the SSR's when i turn them on in the BCS software.

With my kill switch turned off, i am getting no volts when testing the SSR's terminal 1 and the neutral bus bar, as well as testing terminal 2 and the neutral bus bar. Makes sense to me!

With the kill switch turned on, and the BCS inputs still turned off, I tested the SSR's terminal 1 and the neutral bus bar, each one gave a reading of 123 volts. And when testing terminal 2 and the neutral bus bar, im getting 45 volts on one of the SSR's, and 0 volts on the other, which I find that very odd. My understanding is that if the SSR is not on, no current should pass through it from terminal 1 to terminal 2, therefore terminal 2 should have a 0 volt reading if the SSR is not switched on. Am I incorrect in thinking this? Might there be a problem with the relay? Is there a wiring issue?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachments
PumpWiring.jpg
PumpWiring.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 6587 times
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Wiring Diagram to run a Duplex Outlet for 2 Pumps

Post by JonW »

It's normal. Google "SSR leakage".
Minnino

Post by Minnino »

Thanks for the quick response Jon, glad to know it is nothing to worry about. Does everything else look OK in this diagram? What if I were to use a GFCI outlet, does that change the wiring at all? Thanks again Jon!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Wiring looks fine. My preference for GFCI is to put it on the wall permanent circuit that you'll be plugging your rig into and then use standard outlets on the rig. However, you could still swap out your outlet for a GFCI and the wiring stays the same.
Minnino

Post by Minnino »

Thanks Jon! Ill be wiring the rest of this up once i get home this evening. Hopefully everything comes out just fine. I think I will take your suggestion on using a regular outlet on the control box, and GFCI on the wall outlet.
Minnino

Post by Minnino »

So I have gotten everything wired up and im still getting some strange readings. On the SSR's I am getting a reading of 123 volts on terminal 1, and getting 0 volts on terminal 2, and this is with the BCS having the SSR in an off state. Looks perfect to me.

So now it gets a little weird, If I put a receptacle tester in one of the outlets, first the tester lights up to show that there is the correct wiring, but also on terminal 2 of that SSR i start reading 96 volts. If I unplug the tester it goes back down to 0 volts. Mind you this is with having the BCS saying those ports are off. Is that normal, by putting the tester in the outlet does it cause a circuit to be created, hence giving me the 96 volt reading?

When i turn those ports on using the BCS i do get 120 volts on terminal 2, as well as in the outlet as well, so I am assuming it is functioning correctly?

Thanks,
Jason
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

When there is no resistance on the output side of the SSR, it will leak current. Your meter does not cause enough resistance when reading it, so it shows as on. Do a test by hooking something up to the SSR to control e.g. a lightbulb. You'll see that it is off when the BCS is off and on when the BCS is on.
Minnino

Post by Minnino »

Good to know Jon, thanks. It was testing just fine using a lamp, just wanted to make sure the readings I was getting would not cause any problems. Thanks so much for all of your help!