24 vdc Wire Gauge for Valves

Discussion of the physical aspects
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: 24 vdc Wire Gauge for Valves

Post by JonW »

It really doesn't matter. All the valves have to be wired to a relay board to trigger them, so it doesn't matter too much. My rig is using CR03 (I think), but my new rig I'm building right now has CR05. The BCS needs to trigger a relay board, so the wiring there is always the same. You then adjust how you wire from power/ground & the relay outputs depending on which wiring style.

The voltage requirement of the valves is more important to me than the wiring schematic. For instance, if you have some other 12V items on your system, then use 12V valves so that you only need one power supply to run it all.
scscott

Post by scscott »

Thank you for the feedback
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I think what you want is CR04. Those have only 2 wires. The "+" and the" -" . The " + " is attached though a DC SSR and the "- " is connected to the - of the power supply. I was trying to find what I ordered but can't find original invoice. This close when power is dropped on the DC SSR. Basically spring back to close.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I prefer the powered on/off version so I can leave the valves open when I unplug power from the rig.

Also, FYI, SSR's are not required. You can use mechanical relays, or more appropriately, a relay board. I've used several from a company on eBay called Electronics Salon that work very well. here's a sample board: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Channel-10Amp ... 0806508025

I suggest choosing a board that uses the same voltage as your valves so that you only need one power supply. e.g. if you use 12V valves, use the 12V board and if you use 24V valves, use the 24V board. (The BCS 5V is only triggering the relays, not powering them. The relays need a separate power supply. Do not purchase a 5V relay board thinking you can use the BCS 5V power to run it. Relay power and relay triggers are separate inputs to the board).
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I am still trying to figure out my valves as I have not really used them durning a brew session.

Do you have a wiring diagram you use to connect the BCS to the board and the valves?

I assume that you need power to open and close the valve so it would require 3 wires?

Is there an advantage if you leave the valves open when powered off?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:I am still trying to figure out my valves as I have not really used them durning a brew session.

Do you have a wiring diagram you use to connect the BCS to the board and the valves?

I assume that you need power to open and close the valve so it would require 3 wires?

Is there an advantage if you leave the valves open when powered off?
Yes, it is 3 wires. Sorry, I don't have a wiring diagram. I leave the valves open at the end of the brew day and disconnect the kettle hoses so that everything can dry out.

One wire is ground, then the other two are power for either open or close. Using a SPST relay, you wire the power supply (+) to the common input on the relay, then you wire each of the valve triggers to the "Normally Open" and "Normally Closed" contacts. When you power the system up (with all BCS procs/outputs off), all valves are closed because of the power being supplied through the relay "Normally Closed" terminal. Activating an output switches the relay so that power is then supplied through the "Normally Open" contact causing the valve to open.