Parallel connection of outputs

Discussion of the physical aspects
bg110
Bot?: No

Parallel connection of outputs

Post by bg110 »

Can the BCS-460 outputs be connected in parallel to drive the same load? Do I need to install isolating diodes on each output connected in parallel?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Parallel connection of outputs

Post by JonW »

Can you give an example of why you want multiple outputs driving the same load?

Usually when someone is looking to do this, there is likely another way to accomplish the wanted results through programming.

If you are intent on doing it though, yes, you would need isolating diodes.
bg110

Post by bg110 »

Two different temp probes- one in the brew pot, one in the freezer for fermentation. One ssr for either the chill water pump feeding the HE on the brew pot, or the freezer for the fermenter. I think you can only assign one temp probe per output? It's no big deal using isolation output diodes.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I guess this depends on whether you're running the older 3.x firmware versus the newer 4.x.

In 4.x, it's one temp probe per output - per state. I would assume you would have different processes & states defined for the fermentation versus the brewing/chilling, so each can use a different temp probe with the same output. You just don't want your fermentation and brew/chill processes running at the same time since only the highest # process will control it at that point, but since you're sharing the chiller between them, that doesn't sound like it would be a problem.

Even with 3.x, you could use ladder logic to trigger Output0 on when Output1 is asserted. I'd suggest using 4.x firmware and save the extra output. Plus, it's just a whole lot better!
bg110

Post by bg110 »

Yes, looking hard at 4. But I have a lot of development into 3.7.1.
In 4, are my saved processes able to be uploaded? Does it use a different format?
Also, if I go to 4, is there a way to go back to 3.7.1 if I don't like it.
brahn

Post by brahn »

bg110 wrote:Yes, looking hard at 4. But I have a lot of development into 3.7.1.
In 4, are my saved processes able to be uploaded? Does it use a different format?
Also, if I go to 4, is there a way to go back to 3.7.1 if I don't like it.
There is a configuration migrator that will migrate your 3.7 settings and processes to 4.0. It's still recommended to check your settings after the migration. It works well but there may be some settings that don't migrate properly.

You can downgrade to 3.7.1 using the same process that you use to upgrade to 4.0.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

the migrator utility works very well. Generally it changes you 3.7.1 to 4.0 with ease. I much prefer the 4.0 as it is much cleaner. What is missing in 4.0:

1. Temperature Averaging
2. HMI
3. Web Buttons ( Gone but new interface makes them redundant regardless)
4. Exit Process Display

I like the 4.0 interface and it is really mostly a UI change as the "under the hood" works the same. Once you use it , I think you will be a fan.