Need help!

Discussion of the physical aspects
KyleN
Bot?: No

Need help!

Post by KyleN »

Hello everyone. I am a newbie member to the forum. I have been browsing the forum posts for a year or so and finally joined. I am hoping that someone can help me with my control panel build. I am planning on using the basic setup found on the Electric Brewing website. I am going to build a 50a 4 element control panel with the BCS-462. I was able to get a large control box for free from my work. It was decommissioned several years ago and has been collecting dust ever since. It is full of contactors, etc. and was used to run a juice press/machine. My question to all of you with electrical knowledge (that I simply do not yet have) is to see if any of the components from the box would be of any use in my intended build.

Here is the list:

1ea Allen Bradley Micrologix 1000 (1761-L32AWA)
1ea AB 1492-CB1 (10a)
4ea AB 1492-CB3 (10a)
3ea AB100-C09*10 contactor
3ea AB 193-EA1EB
1ea 160-AA02NSF1 speed controller
3ea 800E-3X01 contact block

Thank you in advance for your wisdom, insight and opinions!
clearwaterbrewer

Re: Need help!

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

You can use the 10A circuit breakers for pumps and stuff, but not much else of value for a BCS build, eBay it for money for stuff you need...

unless the L20AWA is really a L20AWA-5A, which has 4 analog inputs and one analog output, it is better for someone else.. even with the AWA-5A, which is 4-20mA (did I mention I want the BCS to have 4-20mA lately???) you woudl need temp inputs that are 4-20mA, such as a PID or remote thermometer, but such a thing woudl be cool for a fermentation fridge or something with a local display of temp and it sends the signal to the micrologix... you coudl even have the BCS use digital IO to step the setpoint up and down on the micrologix if you wanted...
KyleN

Post by KyleN »

Thanks for the response clearwaterbrewer, I appreciate your help. I sort of figured these items would be best for eBay. It would have been way too easy had these items been right for my build! I think of all the items I was most interested in the speed controller. I thought it would be nice to be able to control the pump speed from the control panel without fiddling with the valves manually.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

yeah, on the bright side, you should be able to get some cash if you list them right!

Speed controllers are most useful with a 'positive displacement pump', usually a flexible impeller.. for mag drive centrifugal pumps, restricting outlet flow is what they are designed for.

Per the factory:

9. Flow rates should be controlled by the discharge valve only, never by the suction valve.
10. Electrical operation is also critical. High or low voltage could have an effect on pump performance. Caution—Do not operate the motor at varied
voltages without consulting a March Distributor first

http://www.marchpump.com/site/files/966 ... 000_R6.pdf