220 v 5500 Watt Element Wiring

Discussion of the physical aspects
oakbarn
Bot?: No

220 v 5500 Watt Element Wiring

Post by oakbarn »

Do I have this correct? I am putting a light switch (DPST 30 Amp) in the Circuit prior to the SSR so I can cut the other hot leg when I am not brewing. (In fact all of my elements have this positive cutout even if 110)
I am running #10/2 w GND from an existing dryer Plug to the element, one leg through the SSR.

I plan to use PWM control (P or H) on my new SCORE HLT.
ssr.jpg
ssr.jpg (155.53 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
oakbarn

Re: 220 v 5500 Watt Element Wiring

Post by oakbarn »

After reading some other blogs, I added a Contactor. Any idea if this is correct?
ssr2.jpg
ssr2.jpg (180.37 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
oakbarn

Re: 220 v 5500 Watt Element Wiring

Post by oakbarn »

I was making it to complicated. When I was looking at the wiring I wanted to use what I have (10/3 SOOW) and be neat. Since the way I had it would have required 10/2 with ground x 2 to the DPST Wall Switch, I decided that I would just put it before the 40 amp relay and the SSR. that way I can run the 10/3 from the Circuit to the DPST switch, then 10/3 to the Relay. I also decided that the Relay as the safety could also be the control and just have the SSR control the relay with the Transformer being powered at all times. I think this provides a flow so that there is no "hot" to the element if the BCS is not calling for heat ( and making both legs hot with the relay). The DPST is a positive cutoff for when I am not brewing or the HLT is empty. Any comments other than mine???? :D
hHLTe2.png
hHLTe2.png (72.2 KiB) Viewed 2561 times