Best fluid sensor for RIMS

Discussion of the physical aspects
BREWMASON
Bot?: No

Best fluid sensor for RIMS

Post by BREWMASON »

Has anyone ever used a fluid sensor connected to their BCS-460/462? What models or brands work the best? This would go in a RIMS
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Best fluid sensor for RIMS

Post by JonW »

What type of "fluid sensor" are you talking about? Float switch? Flow switch? Level sensor?
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I have used these:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-Liq ... B005NFWWLW

You need to be careful with the wiring on any of these COCO (Cr@p of Chinese Origin) floats. I make my "stand" out of Flat SS and then cover all of the wiring and the nut with heat shrink wrap. I do not mess with the floats. I also use to do something when they are "Off" as I can see they are "Active" on the Main Control panel. As an Exit I use when they are off. They are shipped NC so this works fine. I find they work fine but sometimes fail (that is the reason I use the "Off" as the Exit condition.
BREWMASON

Post by BREWMASON »

JonW wrote:What type of "fluid sensor" are you talking about? Float switch? Flow switch? Level sensor?

I see some RIMS systems with a fluid sensor port and some that split in half that can accommodate a sight glass. If it is manually throttle from the wort grant it can be managed easily enough with the sight glass. However if it is automated into the functions of a BCS than I would hope the RIMS heating element does not run dry. One idea is to install a check valve just after the wort grant pump going up the side of the 3bbl Mash tun to prevent any backflow back into wort grant when pump stops due to a liquid level float triggered by the wort grant. Thus keeping the element in liquid always. Most check valves have a spring that is rated for larger pumps ( bigger than 7gpm chugger /march ). This spring could easily be swapped out with softer spring to accommodate a lighter pump from lets say a 17GPM MARCH AC-5SSB-MD Beer Pump Vs a centrifugal pump. If for any reason the check valve was sticking w stock spring. Researching ideas so I can hard line everything.

Motor Output: 1/8HP/0.94KW
Max Flow: 17 G.P.M at zero head
Max Head: 27 ft. at 1 GPM
Inlet: 1" FPT
Outlet: 1/2" MPT
Pressure: Max. internal pressure is 200 psi
Temperature Range: 250F/121C
Electrical Connection: 115V 50/60HZ.