Best Float Switch for Wort Grant?

Discussion of the physical aspects
BREWMASON
Bot?: No

Best Float Switch for Wort Grant?

Post by BREWMASON »

Looking to automate our wort grant pump with float switches. Would these work ok or does another brand work better?
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Sho ... FLS-BM-300

Rather connect my BCS-460 vs use one of these:
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Sho ... /LC41-1001
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Best Float Switch for Wort Grant?

Post by JonW »

The float switch in your link is a generic chinese one that is available on Ebay and other places for $5-$8.

Yes, they work well. I have a few that I'll be incorporating into my setup for BK volume and HLT level sensing.
BREWMASON

Post by BREWMASON »

Thank you Jon!!! I will redirect my hunt to ebay and amazon. Greatly appreciated.
hopsolutionsny

Post by hopsolutionsny »

We use them often at work. They are easy to clean, operate and you can flip the magnet over to change the position from NC to NO depending on what you want. Your gonna want to pull the c-clip and take apart often so grim doesn't build up inside there and possibly cause a hangup....
Snoutbrain

Post by Snoutbrain »

I just got one of these floats today and want to use it for fly sparge level control. The switch would control my pump on/off function through the BCS. Does anyone have a wiring diagram and programming hints they could share with me! Thanks!!!
BREWMASON

Post by BREWMASON »

I have attached a float switch image that was shared with me. I am still seeking clarification on if this absolutely 100% correct. I would like to have a dual float switch come up through the middle / bottom of the wort grant. That way the whirpooling would not mess with the floats. They could travel up / down without interference.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... fxdwub.png
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

That dual float switch would likely have 3 wires. One as a common feeding the 5V to each switch and then two returns back to the DINS (one for each switch).
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

The Dual Float that I have are 4 wire

2 Red = top float

2 black = Bottom Float

So Wire One Red and One Black to 5+ v and the Other Red and Black to different DINs. There is no Ground needed for the DIN.