Ignighter or pilot flame for 2 Honeywell Gas Control Valves

Discussion of the physical aspects
BREWMASON
Bot?: No

Ignighter or pilot flame for 2 Honeywell Gas Control Valves

Post by BREWMASON »

What was the outcome when people were trying the igniters vs pilot light? Was there too many problems with the high voltage on igniters?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Ignighter or pilot flame for 2 Honeywell Gas Control Val

Post by JonW »

I think you'd probably find fans of both methods. The spark igniters can be problematic though in this environment as several people (myself included) sometimes had issues where the spark caused enough surge/interference to reset the BCS. I changed to hot surface igniters that have proven to work fantastic. Ran them for a couple of years on my old rig and put them on the new rig as well. I personally think the expense of the Honeywell pilot systems isn't warranted in this type of installation.
BREWMASON

Post by BREWMASON »

Jon, what is your approach to using the "Hot Surface Igniters"? Specifically how do you connect them when lighting the burners? Are they on the entire time the burners are on? Same circuit as the gas solenoid or timed? Thank you for all your valuable input!!!
brahn

Post by brahn »

The BCS has an option for using outputs as igniters. If an igniter is tied to the output when it is turned on the BCS turns on the igniter, delays, turns on the output, delays, then turns off the igniter. The delays can be customized.

http://docs.embeddedcc.com/settings/#auto-ignition

On my system, all three igniters are connected to one output. So anytime one of the burners turns on, all three igniters heat up. I don't remember the original reason for this but it saves outputs and keeps the configuration simple.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

My setup is the exact same as what brahn just described for his. All 3 igniters wired together and on one BCS output. Any time a burner is commanded on by the BCS (manual or set temp), the igniter output logic functions to light the burner. It works incredibly well which is why I don't see the need for the expensive Honeywell valve/pilot setups.

I will give a caveat with that though - if you are running unattended, then yes, there can be benefit to the additional safeties provided by the Honeywell valve/pilot setup.
traprock

Re: Ignighter or pilot flame for 2 Honeywell Gas Control Valves

Post by traprock »

Jonw or brahn: I would like to replicate what you setup for your systems using Hot Surface Igniters. I purchased the "Complete BCS 3 Gas Kit" from Electric Brewing Supply which includes the following:

Basic Kit Hardware

11 - LEDs (2 white 110v, 3 white 24v, 2 blue 110v, 1 red 110v, and 1 green 110v)
1 - Emergency Stop locking push button with NC Contact
3 - 3-Way Yellow/Orange LED Toggle switch for gas (auto - off - on)
2 - 3-Way Switches with NO Contacts for pump (auto - off-on)
1 - 2-Way Switches with NO Contact for alarm output
11 - Additional NO Contacts for back of 3 way switches
1 - Key toggle Switch for panel on/off
1 - 25a DIN Contactor w/ 110v Coils for main power
1 - 24vac Power Transformer - Honeywell AT72D1683
2 - 3 SPDT Relay DIN Mount relay boards for output control of gas, pumps and alarm
1 - 2x 1/3m cuts, and 1 1/6m cut, of DIN rail (pre-installed in pre-cut enclosures)
16 - Terminal Blocks for wire from 6-24 awg
1 - 16a 1 pole DIN Rail Breaker
8 - Terminal block anchoring ends
3 - Terminal block end covers
2 - Terminal block separators
2 - Terminal block connecting bridge pieces

I also purchased:

3 - Azsco Red Hat Gas Solenoids - 24VAC, normally closed

My question is, what do I need to power 3 - "Hot Surface Igniters". Can I use an open output off one of the SPDT Relays? It is 24VAC. Would I need to use a 120VAC port like the ones used for the pumps? Or do I need a SSR between the BCS-462 and the "Hot Surface Igniters" via the "3-Way Yellow/Orange LED Toggle switch for gas"?

This is the last step in my build.

Brian
Trap Rock Brewing Company
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

The hot surface igniters are 110V devices and will need to be powered via a relay (mechanical or SSR). I have mine setup to trigger all 3 at the same time so that I only use 1 BCS output. It's possible to have 3 different relays triggering 3 HSI's, but there's really no reason to power them separately. Based on what you have in the kit, I'd just one of the SPDT relays.
traprock

Post by traprock »

Thank you Jon. Where do you position the igniter, directly over the burner? Do you have a picture you could share?

Brian
Trap Rock Brewing Company
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Mine is 1/2 inch above the burner.
IMG_4042.JPG
IMG_4042.JPG (39.51 KiB) Viewed 11729 times
I did protect the wires with a sleeve for engine wires from auto parts store. I had burn up some wires prior to protecting them.

I also do as Brahn and Jon with one output for all igniters. I also just use "on and off" as I am not 100% confident that they will always turn on as there is no "safety" even if they have never failed yet. I think that if you were trying to use with a Temp Setpoint, I would go the Honeywell Valves.