Time delay - wort grant pump

Discussion of the physical aspects
BREWMASON
Bot?: No

Time delay - wort grant pump

Post by BREWMASON »

Would this time delay relay be a wise option for a float controlled march 807 pump. Wort grant would have two floats high/low and control the timed relay ( Desired time was to prevent the pump from ever clicking on and off rapidly. )

Time Dlay Rlay, 120VAC/DC, 10A, DPDT, 3 sec.

https://www.zoro.com/macromatic-time-dl ... /G5268024/

I am trying to be creative with my BCS and not spend $195 on this guy:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Sho ... /LC41-1001
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Time delay - wort grant pump

Post by JonW »

You should be able to just use an extra state in the BCS programming as a timeout/off state. Once you reach your high point, you could jump to a timeout state that would wait a specified time, then jump back to a state that checks the floats and would turn the pump on/off as needed.
oakbarn

Re: Time delay - wort grant pump

Post by oakbarn »

Using the Two State Works Great for a time delay. I use this endless Loop to do several things like checking my Final Gravity of a Brew. When My Primary Ferment (State 0) ends on a Timer, I jump to "Check FG1" (State 1) with an Exit set for 24 hours.

I Check the SG and Record it.
After 24 Hours, It jumps to "Check FG 2" (State 2) when I Check the SG again and record it. There is an Exit Set for 24 Hours to State 3.
After 24 Hours, It jumps to "Check FG 3" (State 3) when I Check the SG again and record it. There is an Exit Set for 24 Hours to State 1 (loops back to "Check FG 1"). Once my FG is Steady for 3 days, I know the fermentation is finished. This could go on for a while as necessary as it never stops recording the Fermentation or gets off Temp.

You could set a short delay with the Wort Gran in the same manner for a much shorter time. You could also set up ladder logic so that the bottom float must be made in order for the Pump to be on so that it will not run unless you have Wort in the Grant

I would say generally that the Top float would turn Off a valve on the MLT and the Bottom float to control the Pump on the feed from the Wort Grant and not use a time delay.