BCS and POE

Discussion of the physical aspects
BrewKaiser
Bot?: No

BCS and POE

Post by BrewKaiser »

If connected via Ethernet cable to a POE switch will the BCS unit remain on? I don't want to leave my control panel plugged in and left on all the time for safety reasons (kids are drawn to lights and buttons for some reason), however I do want to be able to connect to it and program at any time remotely.

Is power for the BCS only through the 24v bus or will it remain on if connected to a POE capable switch?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS and POE

Post by JonW »

The BCS does not have POE and there is no 24V bus. It only gets power from the provided power adapter.

I have a switch on my control box that when toggled, turns off power to all devices (pumps/valves) EXCEPT the BCS. I do it for the same reason you mentioned - I want to program or test things.
BrewKaiser

Post by BrewKaiser »

Thanks for the quick response.

I didn't build my controller and obviously haven't looked that closely at it yet either :lol:

So short of POE, is there any reason I couldn't keep the DC power adapter for the BCS plugged in to an external 110/120 outlet at all times?
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I leave my two BCSs on for months and only turn them off for a power reset once in a blue moon , mostly doing a firmware update.
BrewKaiser

Post by BrewKaiser »

JonW wrote:The BCS does not have POE and there is no 24V bus. It only gets power from the provided power adapter.
Going to see if I can re-wire the onboard BCS power to external. Plan to install a pin connector in the bottom of the enclosure and then connect to external 110/120v AC/DC adapter. Just want to confirm that the BCS uses 12v DC.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Look at your BCS power supply - it shows the voltage. 6V!

Do NOT use a 12V supply into the BCS!
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

oakbarn wrote:I leave my two BCSs on for months and only turn them off for a power reset once in a blue moon , mostly doing a firmware update.
last month or so, mine has hung quite a bit, probably power issues.... I need a tiny 6v batter backup...
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I use a standard 120 vac computer battery backup. The BCS is wall watt is plugged into the backup
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

can't fit inside my panel... which is on the wall... cannot plug the whole panel into the UPS unless it can do 50A@240V, having a separate power in is not exactly sano

maybe a capacitor...
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Mine did not fit in my BCS Panel either.

The Battery Backup is plugged into one of my normal circuits. I ran a plug from the Battery Backup to a Standard Wall Outlet. The plug is in the UPS and the other end is just wired to the duplex outlet. From there I ran a Romex 14 awg to a Pilot Light Switch. From the Pilot Light Switch, I ran another 14 awg Romex to another Standard Outlet. That is just beside my Panel and a small hole takes the BCS Power from the Wall Wart to the BCS. I can switch “off” the Power to the BCS with the switch and the BCS is on a UPS. That protects it from surges and Power Outages. Nothing else is powered by the UPS.