Diode Sizing

Discussion of the physical aspects
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Diode Sizing

Post by oakbarn »

I had asked this question in another thread but thought it might be better on its own.

I use a toggled DIN to advance to my next State (DIN as Exit Contdition-One Shot) for several of my States. For example in My Mash Process I have an "Add Grain" State where I add the grain and mix it in. Since this is a totally manual step in my home brewery, I use the DIN to jump to my next State "Obtain Mash" where it exits by the Mash Temperature. Through trail and error, we attempt to have the dough in 1 degree warmer than the Mash Temp. That State will exit (normally very quickly) to my Mash which starts recirculation through a modified HERMs ( A Convolutus Chiller).

Rather than walking over to the Toggle Switch, I will now be able to say

"Alexa, Turn on Next State" It will jump from my "Add Grain" State to "Obtain Mash" State.

See https://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2949 for the Alexa control. (Thanks JonW!!!)

I have several "manual" states in Processes that have the "Next State" as the exit.

I am going to use an "Output" to "turn on" a DIN. The DIN is also connected from the 5 vdc through a Toggle Switch. It was suggested to use a Diode in the circuit.

I read some electronic forums and came up with this Diagram for the circuit.
diode.png
diode.png (20.88 KiB) Viewed 12210 times

My question is about what type of diode to use and the rating.

Would this Schottky Diode be one to use?

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Solderabl ... ords=diode

I also watched a lot of youtube videos on installing Diodes and I now know alot about shading of solar panels. I still do not know what direction to install a diode. The most helpful video said install the diode. If the circuit does not work, reverse the diode. I would rather do it once.

Is this correct? :oops:
diode2.png
diode2.png (21.11 KiB) Viewed 12210 times

I will also have to recycle the Out to "Off" for it to work again unless I can figure out in the Javascript for it to Turn on then automatically turn off. :lol:
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Diode Sizing

Post by JonW »

Your diagram looks good, but you really only need one diode for the output port protection. Here's a good reference for you: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/diodes

Not sure what you're talking about with recycling the Out?
oakbarn

Re: Diode Sizing

Post by oakbarn »

JonW wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:28 am
Not sure what you're talking about with recycling the Out?
The Out would be On until I turned it off. The DIN is set to one shot. I assume I would need for the Out to be Off to turn it on again the next time I want to use it. I have to flip my toggle to off then On for the DIN to work.

I did read the Sparkfun article among others as one of the sources when I was looking for an answer on how to wire the diode. While it explained sorta how to do it, it was not basic like which way to put the colored band or what size I needed. I am a total "newbie" when it comes to electronic circuits. I have got kits for my grandson a couple of years ago from Sparkfun so he could learn. Maybe I should have "helped" him put them together :lol:

I have built computers but that is more put Widget A into Slot B. The Circuits were already made.

Also, would you not want to protect the Out from Reverse Current if you use the Toggle 5+ vdc?