Getting rid of the Wall Wort Power Supply

Discussion of the physical aspects
dtfeld
Bot?: No

Getting rid of the Wall Wort Power Supply

Post by dtfeld »

I would like to get rid of the 1A 6V power supply wall wort and replace with a DIN rail mount version.

Use this....https://www.amazon.com/MEAN-WELL-origin ... wer+supply

Is 6VDC required or will a 5VDC switching supply do it? There used to be a link to this info, but it does'nt lead anywhere.

What are others using?
oakbarn

Re: Getting rid of the Wall Wort Power Supply

Post by oakbarn »

Have a look at this: The specs link is in the archived link.

https://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic. ... ply#p11826
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I have also found it useful to do a power cycle on the BCS. If you get the BCS in firmware Update Mode and want to exit, the only way I know to do that is a Power Cycle. Additionally, if my BCS starts acting "strange", I do a Power Cycle. I have my Wall Wart plugged into an Outlet out side of my BCS Box and it is controlled by a light switch. I also have the "Power" to that switch and Outlet coming from a UPS Battery Backup so as to protect against line surges.
dtfeld

Post by dtfeld »

I know 6 vdc is the wall wort voltage, but was hoping to use a small 5 vdc ps. 6 volts isn't common for DIN ps, but some of the are adjustable so may still be able to to this.

I can always add a small BCS reset switch if need be, but mine tends to run for months at s time.

What threw me off is the 5 vdc output and 5 vdc inputs. One would think it's running on 5 vdc. But I guess there is some onboard transformer. I may still try it. I have an outlet in the panel but it soaks up a lot of real estate. Would be nice to have that space back.
Andy Dean

Post by Andy Dean »

I soldered the correct power tip onto the output of one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEOK-Waterproo ... B00H1OYOLY

It powers my BCS462 just fine. You'll need 12v to supply the buck transformer however.
jward

Post by jward »

I have run a BCS with a 5V wall wort. It worked fine but it was only powering leds on a couple outputs and 2 temp sensors as I was bench testing the configuration. You might find the 6V more reliable if you have a lot going on.
Navin000

Post by Navin000 »

I've purchased the above dc setup down transformer. I need to confirm whether the pin on the bcs unit is positive or negative when I wire it up. Annoyingly my wall wort has a removable tip which I discovered which can be reattached 2 ways possibly reversing the poles. I don't trust that I've put it back in the correct way and don't want to blow up the bcs.

Cheers for any help.
Navin000

Post by Navin000 »

I found an image of someone's elses power supply showing the pin as positive. I'll go with that, fingers crossed.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

is it just a software mod to report/log the input voltage? I would think something like that would be built into the CPU, right? Would be nice to have a switch in the settings page to turn that on in case you thought you might have voltage issues...